Okay or not okay for early mornings?

DD, almost 3, has interpreted the time change in the opposite direction, and instead of waking later, she now wakes an hour earlier than she used to -- used to be 6:30, now it's 5:30. We have always gotten up and read to her, played with her... but 5:30 is unacceptable to me. I feel like at her age, we should be able to ask her to stay in bed a little longer and talk, etc. But she has a fit about that request (we've been working on it for a long time) and she shares a room with her little sister. Last night we tried a new strategy. I poured her cup of milk in and put it in the fridge, showed her where it was. I got a cereal bar and put it on a shelf she could reach, showed her where it was. I showed her how to turn on the DVD player and put one 1/2 hour episode of signing time in, ready to go. I showed her how to turn on the lamp. This morning, at 5:30, she got up and we didn't. She thought it was an adventure. Okay or bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is awesome. She is old enough to understand and follow directions. You are in the house and she is learning some responsibility. I think you are doing a great job. You made sure to explain it to her, show her everything and you had milk and food ready for her, not to mention entertainment. Keep it up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• As long as she won't get hurt or into anything else she shouldn't, I think it's a good idea, personally I'd be to worried mine would get into something else.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yeah, today I didn't even sleep through it... I just laid in bed listening to her with a melting heart. Hopefully eventually, if she keeps it up, I'll be able to lightly doze. I don't think she'll get into things. While I know 100% childproof doesn't exist, we have a younger one, too, so our house is pretty safe, and she hasn't learned to be sneaky yet. I think she still thinks we can see everything she does...
    Anonymous

• I don't feel a 3 year old should be up unsupervised, too many things could happen while you are still sleeping
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree with peanutsmommy. My son is three and I would never let him be up alone. But I do lay down on the couch with him if he gets up to early. Then he can watch his cartoons and I can doze, but I feel him if he gets up and I wake up.
    Anonymous

• At 3, I think it's a little young to be up by herself but you're her mom and know her best.

Answer by missanc at 12:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• OP here: If I so much as close my eyes in her presence (even if she's watching something -- she senses it), she comes up in my face and shouts, "wake up, mommy!!"
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on your daughter, and just how adventurous she is. My kids are 4 and 6, and they get up before I do. I can usually hear them, and I try to keep tabs on what they are doing. However, my youngest is like a ninja, and when he is the only one awake, he gets into everything. I have to keep the kitchen locked, because one morning last year he woke up and tried to cut an orange for breakfast, and instead sliced thru his thumb, requiring four stitches. I didn't even know he was awake, until he screamed. Thoroughly check your house at night before bed, and make sure that anything dangerous is put away.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• it all depends on the child and their maturity level. my three year old would be fine but others would get into stuff or it just wouldn't be a good situation. you know her well and so go with what you know. i think it's rather cute!

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 12:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Nothing is wrong with that! I think it's great that your daughter is self sufficient. Our children all woke up before me and would get a yogurt or milk (pre pored in a cup) and watch tv when they would wake up early. My children were safe and I was aware what was going on in the next room
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2010