How can I safely boost my milk Supply??

I am a new mom with a 3 week old baby boy, whom I have been breastfeeding. I am going back to work in a few weeks. I will be bringing him with me to work, but it will be difficult to breast feed him while there. I want to start stocking up on pumped milk to bring with me and bottle feed breast milk while I am at work. I am looking for tips on boosting my milk supply the next few weeks so that I can have enough milk to breastfeed him AND start having extra to store.

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 12:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First make sure you have a good pump. A single electric medela is fine for part time, if you work full time and are away from the baby a lot you will need a double pump. You will also need to learn how to pump effectively and efficiently so see this informative pumping video:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Also you can pump in the AM btween 4am and 8am when your production is at its peak.   You can also take advantage of baby's let down initiation by pumping on one side while baby feeds on the other.       The important thing is that if you miss a feed you need to pump what the baby takes so your supply is maintained.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• They say brewers yeast helps no idea if that is true I had more than enough milk . I probably could have fed two babies. When you are at work try to pump or breastfeed every two or three hours. Your body makes what it needs remember that. So the more you pump and feed the more your body will make.
    tinaandavasmom

Answer by tinaandavasmom at 1:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Best thing to do...nurse lots! The more demand you give your body, the more will be made. Your breasts are factories, not storage units. The more orders put in to the facotry, the more that is produced! You do not "run out." A lot of moms misunderstand that. When you no longer feel full, the factory has finally worked out how much it needs to make.

As amilee said...have a GOOD pump. No cheapies. Pump once for every three hours of separation. Normal output is one half ounce to two ounces total, and baby needs one to one and a half ounces per hour of separation. Pump one side while nursing the other every morning to encourage output.

You'll do fine. Really. Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more info.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Relax! I was surprised to get double the amount when I was truly relaxed. The body knows when it's under pressure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2010