• In the Spotlight:

What did you do for the child 13th birthday??

My son willbe 13 in Aug, and he got this idea that he wants me to rent hotel rooms for his friends and let them have a good time..(NO DRUGS OR DRINKING).. SO I was wondering what everyone else did for their child 13th birthdasy..

KimmyPoo

Asked by KimmyPoo at 12:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No and I wouldn't. Kids that age could be destructive and YOU will have to foot the bill for any damage caused. Now if a parent is going to be present in the rooms at all times, I might consider it. It is fun to play in the hotel pool and game room.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My daughter turned 13 last summer. I took the day off from work to spend it with her. She chose where we had lunch, we went shopping, and had ice cream and a movie. For a boy I'd think about taking him to a go-kart track or something, but I definitely wouldn't rent a hotel room for a bunch of 13 yo boys!
    Anonymous

• Mine didn't turn 13 yet but when I turned 13, my parents let me invite a couple friends over to spend the night and we had cake,icecream,pizza and junk food,movies, music,free use of the phone all night (hah,I wouldnt allow that one to happen,cuz we were BAD back then,LOL). It was a good time. I really doubt my parents would have let me stay at a hotel though, yeah REALLY doubt that one,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We bought our son a fixer upper Jeep Cherokee. It runs, etc but he and his Dad are rebuilding the engine, have made a new rear bumper, and are going to make it our sons first rock crawling Jeep... They have until he's 16 to get it done and it will teach our son how to take care of his own vehicle.. We spent 500.00 on it so it wasn't gonna break the bank,lol.. All of his money from b-day's , christmas, etc goes into it. He loves it, and was soooo surprised when we pulled in the driveway with it on the trailer.

IMO a hotel room is weird. Sounds like there might be other things on their mind.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• NO to the hotel is my first and only reaction to that.
    For my daughter, we rented the local skating rink for a few hours and she invited ALLL her friend - about 100 kids in all. They had a blast, we had the place to ourselves.
    My son turns 13 in July and he wants to have his friends over to the house for a party and maybe go bowl a few frames at the local bowling alley. Nothing big. 13 is is not a biggie. It is just another year for a child of what will be (hopefully) many, many more years.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'd just be worried about them messing up the room. My daughter went to two birthday parties where they stayed at a hotel. She is 13 now-turning 14 though. Both parties were the girl's 13th. However girls might be less destructive than boys. If he wants to play in a pool take them to an awesome pool with water slides then have a sleepover at your house (if you're up for it). If he wants to play at an arcade take him to Dave and Busters if you have one or something along those lines. Hotels are expensive too and if they mess up the room that might be a big bill!
    Anonymous