What is the most effective way to use time outs?

Is timeouts effective if so, what age can you start using it? What ways have you found to be the most effective? When should you use time out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I use time outs as part of a larger discipline plan. I use three steps. (1) Verbal warning, (2) Verbal and a hand/butt smack [lightly], & (3) Harder butt smack and time out. It works for me. I usually don't get past step 2. I have been using this method since my son was about 15 months. He is 27 months now. I only use time out as a last resort because I try to explain why it is wrong before I make him sit by himself.

proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I always get down to her level and give her a warning. If she continues she get time out. She gets a min for each year old she is. Then when she is done I go to her reinforce what she did wrong and she says sorry.I have been doing this since about 14 months old. And i don't limit it to home we do it when we are out too if she is bad at a store or restaurant I will warn her then take her to the bathroom to have a time out. This works wonderful I keep consistency . And i don't get the weird looks when we are out and i am disciplining her. I get comments all the time about how well behaved she is for a one year old in public.

BellazBabyMomma

Answer by BellazBabyMomma at 4:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2010