my neighbor keeps complaining about my barking dog.....

The only time my dog barks is when the mail carrier or someone walks down my drive way. Night time our dog sleeps inside the house. We have a neighbor whose dog barks 24/7 which can get annoying. Our neighbor next door approached my husband and told him that the dog across our street is always barking. Then she asked my husband if he could build an additional fence to keep our dog in the very back of our yard. When my husband told her NO she suggested we tie our dog on a leash towards the back of our house. Our neighbor is annoyed that our dog barks at her. How would you handle this situation...

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 12:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pets

• she cant do anything as long as your dog is in your yard...tell her to buy some ear plugs or stay away from your fence etc...
    Anonymous

• I would tell her to suck it. You dog has every right to be anywhere in your yard you like him in. I understand not liking to hear the dog bark, but unless it is a constant all day/night thing then too bad for her.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Right, wrong or indifferent if your dog is being left outside to bark she can easily file a complaint with the dog warden or police dept. Get enough of those and you might have a bigger problem on your hands.
    Anonymous

• No she can't if the dog isn't constantly barking. If she barks at the post man and someone coming up her driveway, that's what she's suppose to do. That neighbor has no right to expect you to redo your whole back yard for her.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Is your dog loose in your yard and able to wander wherever it wants? Is the dog going into her yard to bark at her? If so then you need to keep your dog in your control whether that is with a fence or a leash. If not, then there really isn't much she can do unless it's barking during the middle of the night. Yeah, it's annoying, but oh well. When my neighbor's dog barks at me I just tell him to shut up and he usually does.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We had this same exact scenario with a former neighbor. Every time my dog went in the backyard and saw the neighbor in his backyard, he would bark. He is protecting his territory...that's all. The neighbor became extremely annoyed and it turned to all out war, finalized by him calling animal control. Each city/county, etc., has their own rules regarding barking dogs. I highly suggest that you look into those for your local vacinity and see if they have any suggestions for you. Turned out in our case, that the dog is not permitted to bark 'excessively' when the owner is not present in the home (i.e., left outside unattended while owners are not physically present). Since my dog was only outdoors to use the bathroom when we were home, he was breaking no laws by barking at said neighbor. Coincidentally, this finding with the animal control folks infuriated the neighbor and he moved rather quickly.
    Anonymous