taken baby names- issue?

if someone else in your family named a baby a certain name, would you consider it taken?
I never even thought about this until my SIL threw a fit over the idea of my possibly using a version of her husbands name. (a different language spelling )In my family kids are often named after honored aunts and uncles.
I would consider it a honor.
She accused me of trying to take it away from her-
Since she has a HUGE family and considers any name used by even extended cousins off limits, seems like that would limit your selection quite a bit.
I never realized that it was such a issue with some.
Seems worst that would happen is if you called out a name more than one would answer @ a gathering, but considering how often people are named after parents, that can happen anyway.
any stories to to share?
I don't mind of people don't agree with me, just please tell me why you don't agree- if that's the case :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I totally agree with you... to me, a name is name, it doesn't belong to anyone. And in some cultures it is expected that you use family names, other's it's an honor. However, I would also not go against her wishes in this case. Find someone else to honor!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It depends on how close the relative is, I wouldn't give my child the same name as one of their cousins, but that's about it, I would consider any other name to be ok. My mom told me that if I had been a boy she wanted to name me Alexander, but my dad refused because his cousin had a son named Alexander, I've never even met this cousin once so it seemed really silly to me.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I say name your child whatever you want, now if you knew it was a name that she has wanted since she was a child I might reconsider but that would be about the only time.

My bestfriend has about 5 Bob's or some form of it in thier family and there is going to be a new little boy named the same thing. It can get confusing but overall it has never been a problem.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• In our family a name used once is taken! No taking other peoples names. Unless it is as you say to honor an adult...but for instance, my moms name is Alice...my dd's name is Hope Allison after my mom. My sister knows not to go using Allison...or Hope for that matter...it is taken. I was pissed because the nephew of my DH and his wife named their son Jackson when we had named our son Jack about a year eariler. I don't think it is right to take names in a family that are already in use. Even if it is spelled different...if it sounds the same, it is the same!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I say, as a parent, name your child anything you wish. If it so happens to be the same as another family member, who really cares. It's kind of like saying you can't be friends with someone named Jennifer, because you happen to already know someone named Jennifer.

When I found out I was pregnant with my second son, I had a terrible time picking out a name for him. My father wanted me to name him after him, but to be honest I hate the name David. I went ahead and used it as his middle name, to honor my father, forgetting that my sister had said she wanted to use it as a middle name if she ever had a son. Since her and her husband had been trying, unsuccessfully for years, she wasn't upset at all when I used the name. When she did eventually have a son, she just came up with a different name, even though I would have had no problems with her using the same middle name.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We reuse names and think nothing of it. If it's a good name, use it! My brother and dad have the same first name (diff middle names) but 2 of my brothers have the same middle name. My dd and my cousin's dd have the same first name. Hubby's cousins are named after hubby's uncles that passed away. It's all good.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010