grandma's swimming pool

I have 2 daughters under 3. They spend one day a week at my parents' house. They have a pool. With no gate around it. They play outside a lot. We lived with them for a month last summer when we were between places, but the little one wasn't mobile yet and so I only had one child to worry about. And I was with her! My mom is great with kids, but she can be a little flaky. I don't think she would leave the kids alone outside or anything, but what if there were even the most remote chance! I wish I could afford to put a gate around the pool myself. Any suggestions for handling this? They also have a set of French doors in the house that they keep open whenever it's not too hot. I feel like she could be helping one in the potty while the other wandered out. Any suggestions? I don't want to insult my mother by telling her about common-sense safety. But then again... What would you do?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 1:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Teach them how to swim!

Answer by older at 1:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't think any amount of swimming lessons will make my 18 month-old safe by herself in the pool :(
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You should never leave a child that young or any child at any age alone in the pool, but you would be surprised what an 18 month old and younger can learn in the pool with some swiming lessons.

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The point of a waterbaby course is to make sure that in the event of an emergency (kid falls in water), they can at least stay afloat long enough for someone to help them, or to, better yet, get out of the water.
    babies and children can learn to swim very, very, very young. My dd swam like a fish by the time she was a year old, she swam before she could run, lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I REALLY THOUGHT IT WAS THE LAW TO HAVE A FENCE AROUND YOUR POOL FOR LIABILITY REASONS EX. LIKE A NEIGHBORHOOD KID CAME PLAY BY THE POOL AND FEEL IN AND DROWNED ....IT WOULD BE THE HOMEOWNERS FAULT BECAUSE THERE WAS NO FENCE! SOMTHING LIKE THIS WOULD BE GOOD http://www.poolfence.com/product.htm   AND I WOULD BE HONEST WITH HER AND TELL HER YOU DONT WANT YOUR KIDS/HER GRANKIDS DROWNING AND IF SHE CANT UNDERSTAND THAT THEN SHE DOESNT NEED TO SEE THEM!

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• They have a fence around the YARD, but not the pool. So the neighbors can't get in, but my kids can get there from the yard. I'll ask about a fence. It's not that she has wronged me and is demanding to see my kids anyway. I was looking like a sensitive way to approach this issue. She cares for my children one day a week while I work. Of course, if I truly feel they're in danger, I will find another arrangement. But first I want to talk to her about it in a way that does not insult her intelligence. That's all.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• And that's good to know about a waterbaby course but I don't know that we can afford it or have the time to do it logistically. I am alone with the two girls all days and four nights as well.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yes it would be good for them to learn to swim but that doesn't resolve the immediate need, which is safety at Grandma's house. I would just be honest, and how you word things can make all the difference. So she doesn't feel like you are insulting her I would start by saying "I am such a worry wart when it comes to the kids..." or something similar, putting the blame on your own worries and not her ability to take care of your children. Then after you get past that you guys can work something out. Maybe you can split the cost of a fence around the pool, look at the different ones that are available and you might be surprised at what you can afford if you split the cost. If that is not an option ask her to leave the door closed while they are there.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 2:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I saw something...lemme find it.
    Ugh, it's expensive, but a heckuva lot less than a gate. http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5866&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85215

Look around, though. There are probably similar items that are less expensive, and I hate that there are no ratings of the product.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 2:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Is this an above ground or in ground pool? Not that it really matters, just that kids can fall in easier when they are in ground. I work for a local pool installer. We have alarms that you can buy one goes in the pool, the other end in the house. If there is so much as a ripple of water when the alarm is set...it goes off. I would look into one for your parents good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010