Is it wrong to leave him for 5 minutes?

My son is 6 months old and I just put him down for a nap. He is usually asleep for 3 to 4 hours during his morning nap. My dilemma is that I just realized the mailman is in the neighborhood and I need to send in payments for our bills by today, but we have a community mailbox (meaning it is about a block away). It is just me and my LO but I do not know what to do? Do I wake him and cause for a fussy cranky baby just to put the mail in the box, or is it okay to leave for just a couple minutes to run the mail to the box real quick? Please don't bash, I just want to know if 5 minutes is bad if I am just down the street?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would just lock the door. i'm assuming he's in a crib or playpen and not on a bed or couch right? i work out in the yard alot when the kids are napping and i just listen out for them on the monitor. i don't see a problem
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Jog over there and make it less than 5. Make sure he can't get into trouble where he is sleeping if he wakes up.

Answer by older at 1:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• 15-20 years ago this was done a lot and not given a second thought. but here on cafemom, you shouldn't have even asked such a question ;)
    Anonymous

• yeah, do you have a monitor? i don't really see a problem with it. is he in s crib where he cannot get out?

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 1:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• He's in his crib, I have the monitor, etc. I just get so worried, I think I'm still adjusting to this whole mommy thing! Thank you all!
    Anonymous

• lol anon :20 so true
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 1:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I personally wouldn't do it.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Personally, I would not either. Things can happen, to either you or the baby, in that short a period of time. You can either bring the baby, or send out the bills tomorrow, or make a trip direct to the post office when the baby wakes up.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It's so tempting. So is leaving your kid in the car while you run into 7-11 for a big gulp but I wouldn't and never did it with either of my kids. Long nap by the way, how does he sleep at night?
    Anonymous

• He sleeps great at night. Usually 8 hours. Has since he was about 6-8 weeks with a few fussy nights. He takes about two 3-4 hour naps during the day then the long stretch at night. Never been a problem sleeper. I got the mail to the mailman just as he was leaving the box by the way. Came back and he is still sound asleep. Everything worked out. Thank you all for the answers!
    Anonymous