Ok, so I'm trying, I really am, to understand this healthcare reform.

I'm reading all I can about it but what I want to know is how it is going to affect people who already have coverage through employers? Also, how will it affect people in the military who have the military insurance? Thanks for any answers, and yes I'm trying to read the information on reputable websites.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The Congressional Budget Office report states that premiums will rise in the individual market.
    The CBO estimated that the average premium for people in the individual market would be about 10 percent to 13 percent higher in 2016 than under current law. The CBO also states the average cost of family policies purchased by individuals would be $15,200 in 2016, as opposed to $13,100 under current law.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That's a good question.
    Anonymous

• Tricare for life will be impacted because it's tied to medicare b and they made cuts to medicare b. Employers may drop coverage if it's cheaper to pay a fine. There is nothing in the law requiring employers to provide insurance. If you have to get insurance on your own and make to much to qualify for medicaid (anyone below a certain income is automatically put on medicaid) you are required to pay insurance premiums out of pocket. Every year you will get a subsidy check at tax time to reimburse you for a portion of the money you paid out for insurance premiums. Your policy must meet minimum requirements set by the government, and if you don't carry insurance you will be fined 2.5% of your income, with a minimum of $645. If you don't pay the fine you are in violation of the tax code and face fines up to $15k and a year in jail.
    Anonymous

• Premiums are going to have to go up. Insurance companies are going to be taxed and they certainly are not going to eat the costs.
    As for the military, I have heard that what little money they get will be in even less because money will be re-directed to the Healthcare reform. By the way, its not Healthcare reform its Health Insurance Reform imo.
    Anonymous

• basically we are all going to be f*cked
    Anonymous

• Employers? CBO stated that requiring employers to offer health insurance will reduce employment. Also according to the CBO at least 5 million Americans could face losing their employer based health plan and have to lower their care level to the Government Exchange Program. It just may be more cost effective for the employer to pay the penalty.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• sorry but i agree w/ anon at :39
    Anonymous