Breastfeeding moms,

how did you go about weaning baby? I know it should be child lead, but I've done it for 11 mons and keep getting plugged so...I am going to begin weaning how many days till I cut another feeding out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just did cold turkey..... i used icepacks in a tight bra to help with the swelling.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I transitioned to a sippy cup first. Then, I cut a feeding out every week and replaced it with baby food until I was only left with the night nursing. When I was ready to stop the last feeding, I sat and rocked my babies in the rocking chair with their sippy cup. It took some getting used to. Lots of pats and back rubs. I never picked them up once I placed them into the crib. GL. If you just start a new routine on your own, the baby will adjust.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I tried to ween him, but it was more difficult than I anticipated so I stopped trying. He self-weened at 16 months. He dropped feedings one by one until he no longer nursed at all. He held onto the morning session the longest, but one day he didn't look for it, and I didn't remind him. It's funny because, at the time, I thought he was such a big boy and when I look back I see that he was still just a small fry :o )
    Rayray1976

Answer by Rayray1976 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I used cabbage leaves , put them on my breasts and wore under my bra for two weeks to help dry up my milk while weaning.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• One feeding per week is a good schedule for parent led weaning.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My DD weaned from me at 6 months. She was very eager to try something else, so I gave her a bottle for 2 months, then a sippy cup.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Cut out one feeding a week. If you do it too fast, you run the risk of mastitis. If you're already prone to clogged ducts, you'll need to be extra careful and keep an eye out for infection. Use cold cabbage leaves in your bra to help dry up supply. Hand express for comfort if you get engorged, but don't drain the breast completely. If your baby isn't yet 1y/o, you'll also need to give formula for each missed nursing session.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 2:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm no help, I stopped cold turkey at a year cause I was also about 2-3 months pregnant. So I had no clogged ducts, nothing, no engorgement. Not trying to rub it in your face or anything, just wanted to tell you GOOD LUCK MAMA! Wean when you both are ready. I had to cut DD off, I couldn't do it anymore.
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 2:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• No cold turkey if you have a history of plugs. NO BINDING with your history!

One feeding a week till gone. Drop ONE feeding every Monday.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2010