Is anyone giving 1yr old Rice or Soy milk?

My 1yr old dauughter had a dairy allergy in her first year, we were giving her alimentum. We introduced her to dairy just before one year and she is doing fine with it. However, Im not a big fan of dairy. I'm giving her organic homo milk, but its soo expensive, and I dont have the heart to give her non organic milk. That is why I have been thinking about either Rice milk, or soy milk (organic of course lol). I know rice milk doent have much protein in it though. She doesnt have a soy allergy. she eats tofu and other soy products. I just want some input from mothers who do give milk altenetives to their babies and how they are thriving on them. Thanks!!!

LeahsMama

Asked by LeahsMama at 1:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did / do. My son has had both. Although he's intolerant to dairy/cheese etc. so I get the calcium he needs more from food than milk. Milk is not a HAVE To for a childs diet.. or for ours for that matter.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• no dairy in this house either!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My son is lactose intolerant. No cheese/milk/lactose at all or I am dealing with the squirts for the following 2 days. He has been on soy since 1 day after birth. At about a year old we introduced soy milk. It gives him the same benefits as regular milk and it gives him omega 3's.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i know you said you are looking for a dairy alternative, but i just thought that i would share that we don't do an alternative to milk. we get calcium from veggies, and vit d from the sun, we get protein from meat and nuts. we get the good fats from the nuts, olive oil and fish.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My daughter is lactose Intolerant. So she does not have milk/cheese any lactose. She has been on Soy milk for a while now now problems she loves it.

BellazBabyMomma

Answer by BellazBabyMomma at 4:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2010