How much can we expect gas prices/grocery prices etc to rise this year in your opinion?

I heard on the local news this morning that right now, we are already at 80 cents MORE per gallon that we were at this time last year. We, in Tacoma, are near $3 a gallon and rising. Also noticed grocery prices greatly increasing. I spent what we normally spend on groceries for this 2 week pay period, and already we are running low. I am going to have to increase our grocery budget already. How much more can we seriously expect these prices to rise through the summer?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Momof, people are okay paying $5+ a gallon now.

Obama actually stated at one point in the debates that he WANTS gas over $5/gal to reduce oil dependence. He wanted it to be a gradual rise, though. Lets see if he tries to game the market and slow the increase down so it can work up to $5 by Christmas and stay there or keep going up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• maybe... double?
    Anonymous

• I think it will run about how it did during the summer of $5/gal gas. The fuel will spike first, diesel will go back up, and then everything else will follow, with extra padding to make up for the food supplier's own overhead increases.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Wow lol, already running tight on the budget, where will I be coming up with ANOTHER $100 per week for food and gas. That's gonna be tough...guess I'll be gardening more this spring.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• WAIT...Bush is OUT! I thought the ONLY reason gas cost so much was that HE was buddy buddy with big oil? AND I have noticed a great silence on this issue too....hhmmmmmm.....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

Just like they are okay with two wars now,
    and okay about the Patriot Act now,
    and okay about the deficit now....
    Anonymous

• I,for one, can say honestly I miss Bush! I think some people are still trying to justify Obama being in office.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I can't remember where I read it, but there are tankers backed up in the ports that can't OFFLOAD the oil. We have waaay more than we can process. It makes no sense to me that gas should go up like that, when we can't even use all the oil that we have. I will try to find a link. Hang tight!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Okey dokey, I found some of the articles I have read..... The first one is a blog, however, it has links in it to a lot of articles used to support it.

http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/35155

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/business/worldbusiness/15iht-oil.4.19398944.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229070/Sharks-British-coast-Oil-tankers-refuse-unload-prices-rise--keeping-fuel-costs-soaring.html

There are lots of blogs about this topic. I didn't post them, as I don't want to appear biased in any way....:)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I saw today that crude oil has dropped to under 80$ a gallon, and that stocks have gone up.

It's not much, but it's a start.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010