how long do i heat up ham or bologna? im 22 weeks pregnant and i heard you have to heat dairy products up before eating them

how long do i heat them up for?
thats what we are having for dinner tonight because nobody feels like cooking and i want to make sure if its okay to eat it and how long to heat them up for in the microwave, also is it okay to fry bologna?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can heat them up but the nitrites (nitrates) will still be present.

If you go to the cancer society website, they tell you to add LOTS of fruits and avoid Nitrites/nitrates because they are VERY bad for you.

Why wait until you have cancer to stop eating the stuff they believe causes cancer?? Why not cut that stuff out and add more healthy foods NOW??
    Anonymous

• We always heated them up for around 30 seconds.
    Anonymous

• Until Steaming.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• those aren't dairy products. I've never heard of this process before...hmmm
    Anonymous

• Isn't it supposed to be in moderation? I ate these things when I was pregnant nothing happened. I had it once in a while though.
    Anonymous

• I have to go with the other lady. If you are concerned about Dairy, neither of these fall in that category.
    Anonymous

• It has nothing to do with dairy. Our first doctors appointment they said no lunch meat unless it was heated. The dairy issue is something all together different.
    Anonymous

• Fried bologna sandwiches are a rednecks favorite meal around here, so yes, you can fry bologna.
    Anonymous

• Yes your doctor is right. DO NOT eat lunch meats, hotdogs, etc unless they are heated to 160 degrees if you are pregnant, and also do not feed these things to children under 5 because they can carry listeria, which is EXTREMELY dangerous for pregnant women and young children. I just heat my daughter's in a skillet. And yes, you can fry bologna. Even better if you buy the "natural" lunchmeat with no nitrates/nitrites.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2010