Why am I freaking out about this so bad? (leaving baby with a sitter)

Today I am getting my IUD put in and I couldn't get my usual "sitter" to watch my LO who is only a week shy of 6 months. I usually have my mom watch him, but she is at a very important meeting, my husband is at work, and I cannot take my LO with me. So I have asked my very best friend to watch him. I trust her with my life and she has been around the baby since he was born so she knows just what to do.......so why am I freaking out so bad about leaving him with her? I am shaking it's so bad! It didn't start to freak me out until last night, and now it is too late to cancel my appointment or else they will still bill me, plus my OB doesn't have another opening to do this until May! Is there a way to calm myself? Why would this freak me out so bad? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seriously, if the sitter is capable of calling 911 you're FINE. It's just getting used to a new sitter. You can call and check in. It's good for baby to know a couple different faces anyway. Don't freak out, have some trust. Leaving a child for any amount of time used to worry me too. I could only go for two hours and eventually it got better. At 1.5 hours, I'd start to panic. but it will be fine!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• She's your very best friend,right? Put a little trust in her, she's probably looking forward to doing you the favor and taking care of your precious little one.If for some reason you just can't calm youself enough and you just don't feel right leaving him with her, just take hi to th eappointment with you. I know you said you can't but really, women have to do it all the time. I've done it whenI've had no choice. Just bring him in with you in his carseat and leave him buckled in it while your getting it put in. Nurses and doctors don't mind when we have to bring our kids along. It happens.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If she's only 6 weeks old, your hormones are still affecting your moods. It's something new, so you worry a bit, and you're a little stressed about the fun of having your Dr. appt, and it snowballs into getting genuinely upset. Chalk it up to hormones, and try to calm down, because you don't want to get the baby upset.
    Anonymous

• what your feeling is normal. Once my husband and I went to the movies and I had an anxiety attack I was totally stressing out about leaving my baby. I called my SIL to see how my baby was and realized that I had to learn to let go.
    Anonymous

• OP - Not 6 weeks, 6 months. My pregnancy/delivery hormones shouldn't be affecting me like this anymore. I don't feel comfortable bringing him to the appointment since the rooms are so tiny, so I guess I am going to just have to let go and trust that she is my best friend for a reason. Thank you all.
    Anonymous

• I think it's totally normal and once you get home and see that your son is fine you will (hopefully) be able to relax for next time! Good luck - I'm sure your friend will take great care of him!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2010