i am having a problem with my twins, they wont speak up...

Okay my boys are almost 4 sometimes when they are asking for things they will talk so softly you cant really hear them. its not like they do it all the time they can yell pretty loud if they want, but like i said sometimes they just speak so quiet you cant hear them. like just now oe wanted something to drink and when i asked him what he wanted he got real quiet. i dont want them to do this because even if i know what he wants when he goes off to school in the fall and does this they will not understand. is there anything i can do to help this problem. i am at a loss here. i want to break this habbit. please help

michelle.coppes

Asked by michelle.coppes at 2:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't make a big deal about it but just say cheerfully something like "What's that, honey? Mommy can't hear you and if you want something you need to speak up." Then just go about what you are doing until he tells you clearly that he wants juice, toy, etc. and then praise him for speaking up once he does. I'm thinking kind of the way that you teach kids to use the magic word of please and refuse to give them something until they say the magic word, in this case the magic is just speaking up. But just keep it light and pleasant.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I would let them know that they not only have to use the right words for things but also they have to make them loud enough. When they say something if you cannot hear them ignore them and see if they speak up louder for your attention.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 7:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010