Why do you say it will force you to buy insurance you can't afford?

If this health care bill is going to make health insurance more affordable and allow medicaid for those who still can't afford it - why do you say it will still cause you to pay $400+ a month for coverage if you can't afford that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wage is not increasing, but taxes are. They still have guidelines for medi caid and those barely over the limit wont be aproved then the pay more for fines of not having insurance they already can't afford.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• They are expanding Medicaid to cover adults with no children. That means they're changing those "guidelines" that you are referring to. The fines won't be enforced until the entire bill is in effect and honestly, you just don't know how it will play out. The nay sayers could be right, but the could also be wrong.
    Anonymous

• It wont, It will be challenged and wont go in affect, it is not constitutional. Period

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I hope you are right Mrs.Owen. The reason I say that OP is this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/what-health-bill-means-for-you/?hpid=topnews

I put the numbers in. It says I will receive tax credits to ensure that I will not pay more than $3150 to $4025 a year in insurance premiums. $4025 divided by 12 is about $335. But here is where it really gets you. $335 a month is NOT what I will be paying. I will be paying for private insurance at their going rate, then at the end of the year anything more than $4025, I will receive back as a tax credit. The reason I don't have insurance now is because I can't afford the going rate. Also, I have pre-existing conditions. I will still be denied insurance until 2014. That is the problem I have.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i hope Mrsowen is right too!!
    Anonymous

• I just asked a Q about pre existing conds ins costing more......I was told that wont be allowed...the difference will HAVE to be made up so EVERYONES ins will go WAY up! It HAS TO PEOPLE! The drs, nurses, lab techs, hosp staff, pharma has to be PAID.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Well let's think... when I was 18 my health insurance was 2500 deductible and 900 a month not many can afford that if they could they would have health insurance. But once this bill is signed the penalties go into effect. The "opt option" doesn't go into effect till 2014. So between now and 2014 you have to have ins or pay a fine of 675 or jail time. So if you can't afford a 675 fine you sure as heck can't afford a 900 a month ins.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• f this health care bill is going to make health insurance more affordable and allow medicaid for those who still can't afford it

This health care bill is not going to do either of those things. It will allow anyone who makes under $20k on Medicaid, but if you make $20,001 or more you are required to buy insurance even if you can't afford it. And it's not going to make insurance more affordable. The CBO says premium rates will go up across the board for everyone. When Obama says rates will be lower, he means they won't rise as high as they could, but he's also ignoring the secondary effects from forced coverage of pre-existing conditions and that cost being offset to everyone else, or the impact of the increase on demand - even a voluntary rise in demand would increase costs, that's basic economics. Mandatory increase in demand? Cash cow for insurance to offset all the new expenses they "win"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• AAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDD NP HAS IT! Thank YOU!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• There may be some people who are self employed and paying $900 a month can go into the government exchange and only pay $4,5 or $600 a month but that is still not affordable. Sure it might be less for some but as I have been saying all along it isn't going to make health care more affordable. Most who get insurance from an employer have a fairly reasonable (some downright cheap) cost for health insurance. I pay $60 a month for 4 and have a $2400 a year deductable after that most is covered 90%. My insurance and others who have private insurance will see it going up because of the new costs on the insurance companies.
    If this makes the employer pay more they may well drop the benefit and pay the fine. My dhs company pays $12000 for our insurance and would benefit from doing that. I don't know why people keep saying this won't happen.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010