True or False. Medicaid recipients abuse the Health Care System.

True. When you have private insurance you think twice before calling an ambulance since we know that we will getting bills for the cost of the ambulance service from our insurance later on. Medicaid patients don't have to worry about getting any bill.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My brother is a doctor and we were recently discussing health care reform. He made a comment that he has to treat medicaid patients with chronic emphysema who are still smoking two packs a day. In his opinion if they won't do anything to help themselves then they really shouldn't be entitled to government healthcare. I would tend to agree with him and consider this abuse of the system.
    Anonymous

• Umm, ya they do. When I was in high school I had medicaid and got a HUGE bill for an ambulance. How is that abusing the system anyways? They do have insurance for ambulances.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• True.My family members use the paramedics like a doctor's visit for low blood sugar and fainting spells at 400 dollars a pop!
    Anonymous

• Oh you think? I got turned over to collections by the ambulance service when my medicaid-insured son had to ride in one. He had a bicycle accident on the way home from school. I didnt call them someone else did, by the way. Medicaid refused to pay for it. So I got stuck with a $650 bill I could not pay. I rarely take my children to the doctor because you pretty much get crappy service as a medicaid insured patient. When my son got to the hospital, they did xrays, found he had no broken bones..just horrible road rash & dirt & gravel all in the open skin. Do you know what they did? NOTHING. THey didnt even clean his wound! They said "put some peroxide on it & neosporin & some band aids." And sent us away. So I had to pick the gravel out myself. Yeah, us medicaid patients are LIVING it up!
    Anonymous

• Medicaid is mostly abused by fraudulent claims, not always recipients.

Answer by older at 2:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• if you had said "some medicaid patients" i would say true, b/c there are jerks in every group. but since i know a handful of ppl on Medicaid who only go to the doctor when they are actually sick (and im not talking minor colds type stuff), i have to go w/ false.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• False I always second guess calling an abulance because if one was not needed I still get the bill. Except mine wont be a deductible it will be full cost. Really with the PA bash again. Please know the facts before you bash. I went into premature Labor with placenta previa and a true emergency and still waited one hour for a ride, did not call an ambulance.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm sure some of them do,but not everyone does. Did you know that if a person on Medicaid uses services such as an ambulance or emerency room services and it turns out to have not been an emergency, then they WILL get billed for it? So a person on Medicaid can't call for an ambulance because they have a sore throat and then not get charged for the ride. It says it in the handbook. Check it out.
    Anonymous

• I leaning toward "True" after viewing the responses to HC Bill questions here today. I'm seeing alot of "Yes! Now I can go to the Dr. any time I want!" and "Hooray, now I can have all of those tests done to check my health that I couldn't afford before!" Are people with this newly acquired Medicaid going to be lining up outside of the Dr's offices? IDK.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is on medicaid and they will not allow her to come to the ER unless you have contacted your doctor first. They ask when you get there if you called and if not you have to call your doctor and ask if it is an emergency. So I think the days of taking your kid to the ER instead of to the doctor are over. Unless you have no insurance at all. I think these are the people who abuse the system, because they can't be turned away.
    Anonymous