Hair Loss

My hairline is fading away :-(

Do you know if any insurance will cover any hair loss treatments? I'm only 23 and this has made me EXTREMELY insecure! I don't even going swimming anymore because I am so embarrassed of my hair line being exposed. I don't know what to do!

Is anyone in the same boat as me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• If you have any other symptoms that might indicate a health problem, I would check those out. There are lots of health problems that can cause hairloss. Several years ago I noticed my hairline was starting to look like my dad's and it freaked me out. In time i came to realize that I had been gradually gaining other symptoms too. I was hungry all the time, having trouble sleeping, and a few other things. I was actually being checked out for fertility issues when my doctor discovered my thyroid was out of control. Once I got it taken care of my hairline improved a lot.
    Anonymous

• I have been treating dd's hair loss for almost 2 years. Most of it was covered by insurance, but the medications, not so much. The thing is, even the best dermatologist does not know why hair disappears. All they can do is guess. They prescribed $100+ creams that didn't do squat, that were NOT covered by insurance. I concurrently had her thyroid tested, since it's a genetic flaw in my family. We got that regulated and her hair started growing back. Almost half of it had fallen out, so it took some time. Meanwhile, we were trying those creams, and I think it was the thyroid that did the trick. Even w/o insurance, the thyroid pill is only $4 at Walmart. Go to the doc and get your thyroid tested. It's just 1 tube of blood.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2010