would you give your baby the same name as your first cousin?

that's confusing. my husband an i combined have a lot of first cousins and 3 of the names we like are taken. i have a cousin named Nicholas, & my husband has cousins named Clayton & Becca. These are all names i like and we don't like many names.

we are having a boy so Becca doesn't matter ;) we see my cousin nick a lot so i think it makes sense not to name our child that, but we see Clayton like once every other year, so would it really be such a big deal to name our baby that?

my husband says no because it's his cousin's name and i understand but he does like his cousin ok, and like i said we never see him.

what do you all think? do you cross off names that are already in the extended family? even if you rarely see that person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Personally, I couldn't name my baby a name of anyone in my family. That me though. I would always think of that person when I thought of that name.
    Anonymous

• depends on if they live close!
    Anonymous

• My grandmother was one of 3 or 4 Sylvia of her first cousins. They were all named for their common grandmother. She said it was fun, even if it was a little confusing. To make matters crazier, her 2 bff's were also Sylvia. I got so confused at times but it really seemed to bond them.

I always seem to have at least one friend with the same name as I do; and dd's bff also has that name. It's silly and fun.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We crossed off names in extended family and even similar names. We have Laura in the family, so we tossed out that and Laurie and Lauren. We have a Julie and got rid of that and Julia. My sister is Anna and we really like Hannah, but even that is a little close. My sister says she doesn't care, but I don't know.

Anyway, I have some multiples of names in my family and I don't think its' that big of a deal. So if you and hubby can both agree, then do it.
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 3:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My DH is a Jr, both my SILs have the same first names as 2 of their aunts. Family names are big with them lol
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 3:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Everyone in DHs family is named after someone. DH is the 3rd and our daughter is named for great grandma but same as a couple cousins and an aunt
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I did. They have different last names and they have never met. It hasn't been a problem. I recently found out that a cousin named his son the same first and last name as my nephew. Can't wait to be my SIL's reaction to that one. I doubt they will spend much time together. but they do live in the same town and the last name is very unusual. I would be pissed. If you husband doesn't like the idea keep looking for a name you will both love.

Anonymous

• My sister in law is adopting a little boy and they want to change his name to Michael! That is my son's name! I think it's rude that she'd even consider calling him Michael! We picked it first! We see them at least twice a month and that would be really confusing! Plus this little boy is over a year old, I think he's used to his birth name! Michael is my mom's maiden name and that is why we chose it, it has a lot of meaning to me and my husband! Our son has both of his grandmas' maiden names! Be respectful there are tons of names out there! Get creative!
    Anonymous

• Personally, I don't like kids being named after any relative that still alive. My daughter has the same name as my great-grandmother but great-grandma died in 1954. They need to have idenities of their own. That's one reason why I would never give a son his father's or grandfather's name. And, yes, I think it still matters even if your rarely see them.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i would. i also have a ton of cousins and so does dh. there were certain ones we wont use bc we cant stand that cousin lol
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2010