Is his speech development ok?

My son will be 2 in may. He only uses few words everyday as: mama, dog, truck , bye-bye and drink.
he can say: car, yellow, one, two, three, eyes, and a few more

but what concerns me is that he dont use none of his words in secentences at all. he started walking late (13 months) so is this just slow development i should be worried about or just wait and if so how long?

ldc90

Asked by ldc90 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to developmental assessments
    here is a link to a great screening tool

asq.uoregon.edu
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• thank you i am going to check it out
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• welcome.. feel free to PM me if you have any questions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you have any concerns, you can call early intervention in your area (you can usually google it) and they will do an evaluation for free. If they find he is behind they will provide speech therapy for free or for very low cost.

Answer by missanc at 3:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You can get him checked if you feel you need to, but this sounds like my dd in a way (she walked at 9 mos). Before dd turned 2, she was speaking random words I would call it. She was a late talker; 19 mos she started saying words other than "mama" "dada" and "baba" (ball). Dd turned 2 in Nov and almost immediately started saying 2-3 word sentences and now she's in full sentences. I'v also read that if they don't talk by age 2 (just words) to get them checked out and some kids don't say sentences until 2 1/2 - 3. To me, your son sounds on track! I do understand the worry and there's no harm in getting him checked!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2010