Advice for three under 3?

We just discovered we're expecting our third - right now our first two are 2 and 8 months. Any advice for us? Can you fit three car seats in the back of a sedan? How do you go grocery shopping? What about room sharing (the older two are boys)? We'll take any tips we can get. Thanks!

mrscat206

Asked by mrscat206 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had three under three once! lol. Now they are 4, 4, and 2.5. I don't know about the car situation, when my third was born, we opted for a mini van, it was easier that way. For a long time, I went grocery shopping when dh was home so he could stay with the girls, but as they got older, it is a lot easier. They like to help now. Room sharing, well my twins always shared a room. My youngest had her own room for a while, until she refused to sleep in there alone. So we moved her bed in with her sisters and now all three share a room! Works well for us. The only thing that wasn't fun was three in diapers at once. That gets costy! lol. I don't know what else you wanna know, but if you think of anything, you can pm me, I will be glad to help in anyway I can! Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My two boys shared a room, while baby girl slept with us. We also kept her crib in our room. When shopping, I carried one on my chest and the other on my back. When they all were walking, I bought those wrist to wrist lease (??) lines that kept them from getting away from me. Nowadays, I've seen the lease (???) updates as an animated backpack with a line that attaches to your wrist. I easily fit one toddler seat and two car seats in the back of our car.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Do grocery shopping when your husband is home if possible and leave at least one or two kids with him while you go to the store. If that's not an option you can wear the baby , put the middle in the shopping cart and have the oldest walk holding onto the basket or use a harness, or you can wear the baby and put the two older ones in a double stroller and either put what you're buying in the basket of the stroller or pull a shopping cart behind you.
    Anonymous

• Oh, perhaps I should add that I bought toy miniature shopping carts for them to shop (pick up) their toys or belongings. I also bought toy irons, microwaves, ovens, mannequin heads, ironing boards, vacuums, etc., so that they copied my dail housecleaning/grooming duties. LOL.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• just take things one moment at a time :) you will have a greater appreciation for the peaceful moments!!
    we have a minivan as well, we will soon have 5 in car seats!
    i do know a family with triplets that fit 3 infant carriers in the back seat, but they did have to shop for the smallest car seats. the car seats won't be a problem until you get into the boosters, then accessing the seat belt buckle will be difficult, but not impossible!
    right now we have 2 boys in one room, and b/g twins in another. we are hoping #5 is a girl, so we will have 3 boys in one room, and 2 girls in another...but if we have another boy, i am thinking about putting them in the master, and downgrading mine and dh's sleeping quarters until we can get an addition on our house!
    good luck to you! a houseful is fun!! (crazy moments at times, but fun!)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Congratulations! I had three under three. (twin boys were almost 2 1/2 when DD was born). It's gonna be a lot of work but mostly after the baby gets mobile. Man,then it gets hectic and I'm not gonna like . You are gonna need some major scheduling with the older ones to make time for a needy baby. Yes, 3 carseats will fit in the back of the sedan. Just measure the back row, and then measure the width of all the carseats and you will know. I fit 3 in the back of my Malibu. It should be fine. You can worry about getting another vehicle next tax season or whenever you can afford it =]

Also we weren't in a big rush to get DD's room done as she roomed with us until just a dew days ago (she's 14 months.) And one big thing is that breastfeeding has made stuff so much easier for us. A sucky thing is that you might have 3 i diapers like I did! Hopefully your SO or DH is there for the other kids during those newborn days. COngrats!
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I had 3 under 3 except they were closer in age. when the 3rd was born the other kids were 13 months and 28 months. My best advice is just take things one day at a time, don't worry about housework and rest when you can. Start teaching the older kid a little independence now and it's okay if they cry (even the baby).
    I miss the baby/toddler years. Things seemed so much easier then. Mine are now 9, 8 and 7 and they are on my last nerve every moment of the day.
    We had a mini van so I didn't have carseat issues and I NEVER went shopping alone with them. The logistics were just too crazy plus we only had the 1 car so my husband had it at work. I always went to the store on his days off or after he got off of work.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010