How can I get the smell of diesel out of my hubby's work clothes - yuck!?!

Hubby recently started working on diesel trucks - he's a mechanic. He doesn't have uniforms yet and has to wear his own clothes for now. I have washed and re-washed and tried different detergents - all to no avail - they still stink when they come out of the washer. Yuck! Anyone know what I can use to kill that lovely odor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have yet to find a way to get the smell out. But I stopped putting them in our washer and dryers because the smell gets on other clothes as well. We now take his nasty work clothes to the laundry mat were they have "greaser" washers.
    Anonymous

• I've heard that you can leave them in a bucket of Dawn and baking soda overnight, stirring/poking occasionally, then wash them after you rinse out the Dawn. Make sure ts Dawn. Maybe try a degreaser.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• hmmm,maybe soaking in a vinegar and baking soda concoction? I'm figuring diesel is a petroleum product so something that would be the opposite for an oil base to neutralize it? Borax maybe....add it to your wash
    Anonymous

• Pine sol added to the clothes and given a second rinse.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• www.vinegartips.com
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 3:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010