letting someting out-warning- sad story about a child's accident.

OK, none of my business I know, that's why I'm venting here. I have a 1st cousin who has a son that has special needs that are a lot like autism, so he and his wife tell people that he's autistic.
According to my 1st cousin's brother and sister, he's actually not. He has these issues because they found him unconscious face down in a hot tub-it's from a near drowning accident.
Guess the reason I get irritated with the lie is because it's led people in the family to think that autism runs in our family-some had decided not to have children because they were afraid of it showing up again.

Just my feelings I guess-

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Well I think it would only be fair to be honest with family if it is affecting thier decision on wether to have children or not. However, I can kinda understand why they wouldnt want to tell strangers or other people outside the family what really happend. It's probablay really hard to talk about and then you get people talking about you behind your back and the feeling like you are being judged for what happened.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• As a parent, wouldn't you rather say that than admit repeatley that their child almost drown
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• to Peanutsmommy1- I'm SURE I would rather come up with a story than admit that! it's just that it bothers me from time to time- I know things happen, but it just seems like there are other issues to consider. my cousin that had the accident is recently married, has brothers and sisters that are worried about a autism factor that actually doesn't exist!
    so I wonder if I should say anything or keep my mouth shut-

Anonymous

• keep your mouth shut, nothing good can come of you spreading their personal information
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Tell them to call it a Cognitive disorder. This is closer to the truth.The retarded development was caused by oxygen deprivation.
    Anonymous

• OP- it's a secret they keep from everyone- or so they think. It's something that most everyone knows, but we don't TELL them that we know- it's the younger ones coming up looking to start families that are the ones that seem worried about it.

I have a sister that is running out of time to have kids, and she told me that it was the biggest reason she was so afraid to have kids- thinking that we had autism in our family. I told her, so she knows now- but the whole situation is hard.

I can't imagine what it must be like for them- so I'm not judging, just not sure what to do if anything.
    Anonymous

• Don't be silly autism is not genetic, it's from vaccinations.
    Anonymous

• anon 4:07 - from what I understand they fear there is a link with vaccinations- but there is nothing proving that there is no genetic link in my opinion- I think the jury is still out on that one-
    Anonymous