Do dietary changes really work for inattentive ADHD?

I have a son who is very, very inattentive. It causes so many problems in school and some at home too. I have recently read that certain foods - casein, gluten - can make things worse and that eliminating them can improve things for some people. We have cut out dairy (casein) but not gluten. Taking out gluten seems like it would be really difficult. Also, I have not noticed any changes with removing the dairy. Anyone out there who has had success with changes such as these?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son is very picky anyway & narrowing down the diet didnt improve him at all. Some people are 100% convinced its all diet but I know in his case it is not. ADHD is a neurological disorder.
    Anonymous

• I have heard wonderful things about cutting out gluten and sugar for children with ADHD! However, everyone is different and has a different biochemistry, so it's a 50/50 chance, but I think it's definately worth a shot! I wish more parents would take this approach rather than having their kid pop a pill!
    StarsGoBlu

Answer by StarsGoBlu at 3:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i have heard great things about dietary changes. For those who say it doesn't work they may not be really cutting out the issues. I would also try liquid minerals. They help draw out the heavy metals that have been know to affect ADHD and ADD.
    Anonymous

• we are going to cut gluten within the next 2 years ( i think it may be aggravating my dd's skin)...it seems like a big adjustment, but rice flour is very easy to come by now, and the gluten free sections are getting larger in the grocery store. there is even a pizza place near us with a gluten free crust!. when you cut dairy, did you cut cheese, yogurt, chocolate...everything? i ask not to offend you, but because some people really don't understand it fully. i have also heard cutting artificial colors for add and adhd is very helpful as well. good luck to you and kudos for trying something different! Oh, i have heard it can take up to 6 months for the body to get rid of the gluten already there...but improvements (if this is the cause) should be noticed sooner. there was another diet too...the feingold diet. these are all things worth looking into!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We tried the feingold diet last year. It didn't help. I recently read a study that said only 5% of kids respond to nutrition therapy. but it sure is worth a try if it helps your child. Good Luck.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think that it can work but I think it would be different foods for different kids.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 4:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Remove ALL artificial colors & flavors, HFCS, excess sugars including fruit juice. Give whole fruits instead. You can use the Feingold diet to try eliminating trigger foods. However, I recommend seeing an allergist for a Food Panel RAST test for IgG & IgE. The IgG antibodies will show a sensitivity to the tested foods. A RAST test is done by blood draw. This is what saved my son. We had to remove gluten, dairy, soy & eggs from his diet. It made a huge difference. We recently added fish oil & Sea Buddies(tm) Concentrate supplement. He is doing awesome in school now.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Anon :29 YOU have NO idea what I did so dont tell me I didnt do it right or enough or whatever judgement you have to offer. You dont know my child. It DOES NOT work for every child. End of story.
    Anonymous

• I do believe it works.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2010