Her poop smells "sick"...any nurses on here,I'm sure you'll know what I mean

My daughter had 2 large bowl movements today. Which is not ordinary for her. She usually has only has 1 BM every other day or so. (She's 13 months). Her BM smelled "sick" today. She's not showing any symptoms of being sick but is getting over being sick from a week a or so ago. DO you think it could just be the last of the illness she had getting out of her system or should I give her doctor a call about it? It is a slightly different consistency and color from normal as well. And, no, she hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary. I'm just not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is it possible she's teething or ate too much starch yesterday? When my son is teething or he has too much starch his poohs have that "sick" odor to them and he will pooh a lot more often than normal.

I know what you mean - I helped take care of my paralyzed uncle as a teenager and when he had pneumonia and a staph infection in a bed sore his pooh had this characteristic odor... like his body was rotting or something.

It could be the last of the illness she had, too!

I would wait to call the doctor. If she seems sick take her but if she seems fine it's probably one of the few things I mentioned.

Anonymous

• OMG! Are you for real? "Um, yes Dr., my baby just pooped and it smells like shit"! LOL
    Anonymous

• No, it doesn't smell like shit ,smart ass.
    When I say a "sick" smell I mean that of a sick person. If you've ever worked in a hospital or a nursing home, you would know what I mean.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for the helpful insight. Yes, she is teething! SO maybe that is it. It just worried me a little because I used to work innursing homes and at a hospital before becoming a sahm and that smell is so recognizable, its a little scary. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. I'm sure she's fine, she has no other symptoms at all, really, so that is a good thing.
    Anonymous