How much to tip a hotel maid?

What do you leave a hotel maid? I usually leave $5 per day and I leave it everyday--not one lump at the end of the week, bc I figure it might be a different person cleaning each day.
I also don't leave a tip if I only stayed a night because I figure I'm not getting a service (ie. the beds aren't being made for ME, they're being made for the next customer) Is that wrong?
What is a good amount to tip?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Travel

• I never head of doing that. We don't
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i think any amount is good, because it's usually unexpected. i helped my aunt at her hotel and it was always a nice plus to walk into a room with a tip! if i have cash i will tip, but if i don't, i will do most of the work for them so they have an easier day.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I was one and a dollar a day was appreciated for normal service. More if we made a special trip up for extra stuff or extra cleaning.You're right on the tip per day. We often had several different maids work one room. usually if you're clean while staying,the dollar is good. If you leave a huge mess daily,tip well! Its nice if you seek the lady out to tip her in person. She'll do a better job for you!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• When I was a hotel maid I rarely got a tip. I was always appreciative when I did since it was rare. One guy left me an entire drawerful of change once (yeah it was intended for me...he left me a note).
    Anonymous

• Yeah. If you don't have cash than, Cleaning up after yourself is a very good idea.Other than that any amount is good.
    Anonymous

• I did it about 14 year ago and $1 was good, so I suppose these days $5 will do. Americans usually didn't tip, it was the foreigners that tipped the most. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I am a hotel housekeeper, and yes, the room is being made up for you,even if your stay is only overnight. I average around $5-10 for tip. I'm not saying I receive a tip from every guest. I provide a service the same as waitstaff at a restaurant, or other establishment where customer care is expected by a guest. I have on occasion been told by a guest that they wish they could give a tip, but can't afford it, and that's okay. The best thing a guest can do for a housekeeper is to thank them for their HARD work, and respect the property~ not trash the room.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 12:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I don't tip a housekeeper, ever.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2010