How do you go shopping with your kids without losing your mind?

I have a 5 year old and a 17 month old and shopping has become a total nightmare. When I went shopping with my oldest before my youngest was born I didn't have too much of a problem. I never bought her treats so she never threw temper tantrums because she wanted something. But my youngest is crazy. She will not sit in the cart or stroller. I strap her in and she will wiggle out, stand up and walk out of the straps. She runs around and I can't get any shopping done. My oldest will chase my youngest and it becomes a game and she gets hyper and I can't calm her down. I've tried toys, snacks you name it and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ya it's called RULES FOR SHOPPING if you don't want to stay with mommy then we will leave and when we get home your in time out. My 3yrs old and 20 month old stays in the strooler and my 6 yrs old walks with me and if they walk away or try anything we leave and they are in time-out. Your the mommy the kids don't make the rules you do and once your children get that they will respect you and listen.
    Anonymous

• Try shopping with four. lol. I have to take all my kids with me when I go shopping. No temper tantrums though, thank God. They act like the store is the only place where they can run and play.
    To get my kids to calm down I have them help me get things on my grocery list. That works for me. Have you gave that a try?
    Anonymous

• shop with a buddy. A friend or your SO. You each get one kid.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Kids like that are why god invented backup safety harnesses for children. You strap them in a stroller with a safety harness on that way if they wiggle out they can't run anywhere.
    Anonymous

• Is there a better time to shop when you can just take one at a time? That's what I have to do. If I do have to end up taking both, which I do quite often, and they get out of line, I just leave the cart and go. It sucks for the ppl that work there, but I'd rather leave and show my son that I won't put up with it than continue my shopping and lose my patience with them. Then, when it's time for me to go back and they think they are going, I just say, "Nope, you were naughty before so now you don't get to go again!"
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 4:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't go shopping with them anymore.. I do it while they're in school or when hubby gets home.. but when they were young I took them to the local IGA and the store gave them a big cookie, it kept them entertained for most of the trip.. if I took them with out a cookie I would have boxes opened before getting to the register, upc label torn off and gone.. once my son grabbed an apple of the shelf where the apples just sit there and you pick which ones you want and weight them.. he grabbed one and took a bite then asked. can we get this ? ( I just said yeah since you took a bite I guess I have to huh ) that apple kept him busing while i finish shopping then when i went to the register trying to pay for an apple that barely existed. the cashier just looked at me funny and threw it away. then said thank you have a nice day.. i don't think i was charged for it but needless to say I got a baby sitter next time..
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 4:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It sounds to me like you have tried everything, BUT discipline! Do not bribe your kids to behave. Make them stay put, and leave when they don't, with appropriate punishments when they get home. Soon they will realize that it is not fun to misbehave, and they will act better. This works for other areas of bad behavior also!
    Anonymous

• I completely agree that you shouldn't bribe your kids and you need to discipline them. I have put my oldest in time out and taken away a toy, television privilege, etc. (whatever means the most to her) once we have gotten home from the store. But what do you do when your oldest daughter doesn't want to go shopping in the first place and your husband is away on business and you don't have anyone to watch the kids. If I left the store once she misbehaved I am giving her what she wants plus we have no food in the house. And it's hard to discipline a 17 month old.
    momof2girlz33

Answer by momof2girlz33 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2010