Republican Congressman admits to shouting baby killer...thoughts?

Randy Neugebauer (R-Tex.) identified himself as the member of congress who shouted "baby killer" during Rep. Bart Stupak's (D-Mich.) speech on the floor of the House of Representatives Sunday night.

Neugebauer, a three-term member of Congress from Texas, issued a statement of apology on Monday, saying that the statement was not directed at Stupak.

"In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership," Neugebauer said. "I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• According to US Federal law, an embryo, who is dependent on his/er mother for function, is not a human being. This man owned his mistake, but clearly lacks the ability to comport himself in uncomfortable situations . Hope he's embarrassed and thinks before he speaks, next time.

Anonymous

• "Last night was the climax of weeks and months of debate on a health care bill that my constituents fear and do not support. In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership. While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself. "I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Sounds like he is owning his words. That's my thought.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That its not that big of a deal...I mean the dems have done it too. Isnt that moniker we are working under now/ Everyone is being held to the lowest standards of others. I know thats how the president has been running the country so I guess it applies accross the board. So much for CHANGE!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Mine too QM, and I appreciate his honesty and apology. Funny that some one hete were tryinhg to deny that it happened because they didnt hear it themselves...and defending HIS actions when even HE isn't doing that..we nedd MORE people like THAT , who ADMIT their mistakes.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• And.....???
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• what up with the capped words? I am not getting what you are saying.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• He's owning up to it and I can't say I disagree with him even though the time and place weren't exactly appropriate.
    Anonymous

• Who denied it happened? I had to listen to the clip like three times to hear it because of all the noise but I faintly heard it.I don't see the big deal either.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The man responded with his EMOTIONS...he wasn't thinking clearly/rationally! It happens! Surely, libs can understand that...responding with knee-jerk emotional responses!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010