is a pregnancy with an anterior placenta really harder???

i have heard that the pregnancy and delivery was harder with an anterior placenta. i never knew with my first child where the placenta was, but he came out sunny side up. with this child i was told that the placenta was anterior and wanted to know what the "risks" are. and i have also heard that you don't' feel movement as fast with it, but i have felt this child move since about 16 weeks.

TaylorBaby

Asked by TaylorBaby at 3:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have experienced both anterior and posterior there was no difference. I felt the baby just as much with an anterior as i did with posterior.
    Anonymous

• According to this there aren't really any risks
    http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/anterior-placenta.aspx
    Anonymous

• Mine were both anterior. I had no problems. Felt every bump and kick pretty well,but no labor issues!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I had an anterior placenta with my second child. My pregnancy was not hard at all. At the end of the pregnancy it was VERY hard to feel her, but other then that. The pregnancy wasnt more difficult at all.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• uhm don't mind me asking but whats an anterior placenta? sorry just confused.
    Anonymous

• I've had both and it was pretty much the same. I believe the risk are more if you have to have an emergency section.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 5:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• 'They' say that the only real difference is that you may not be as likely to feel movements sooner. Other then that (and aside from a c-section) it really shouldn't make a difference.

For those wondering, an anterior placenta is one that attatched itself to the front of the Uterus, vs. the 'norm' which would be the back.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have nothing to compare it to, but I have an anterior placenta. It was mentioned at my first us, and then never again. Doctor didn't say word one about it, and it seemed like the us tech only mentioned it in passing.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 6:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I had 2 anterior placentas (placentae?) followed by 1 posterior (normal). Nobody ever warned me of issues, and I had none. No bleeding, no major pains, not even GD. My 1st labor was 4 hours from first contraction to baby out. The second was 3 hours, and the third was 2 1/2. Easy, uncomplicated vaginal deliveries (drug free).

I did feel the third baby much earlier, like 3 weeks earlier. I think it did have an effect, though my OB said it was just that I knew what to pay attention to. However, my 2nd baby I did not feel early. Who knows?

Either way, no problems here, and I hope your pregnancy and delivery goes just as well!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Normally there are no risks to an anterior placenta (the placenta is on the side of your uterus facing your belly). Most people don't feel the baby move as much, getting a heart rate on the baby is a little more challenging I think, and they tend to be posterior at birth more frequently since baby likes to snuggle up to the placenta.

The only risk persay is if you were to have a c/s. The dr would have a very good chance of cutting into your placenta and you would lose more blood (you lose the amount of blood well over what is considered an hemmorage with even a scheduled c/s, so notice I am not saying you will hemmorage). A hemmorage is considered losing more than a pint of blood. In a section, you typically lose a quart.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 9:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010