Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the rights if you're not married and have a baby?

How are legal rights different for those who have a kid who are not married? If the man accepts paternity, how are they any different?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • they are not, they are still obligated to pay child support and have rights to visitation

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

  • No I don't believe so. Call a lawyers office and ask them that question and see what they say.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

  • In Georgia, the father will have to go to court to be "legitimized" before he gets any rights to the child. (even if you put his name on the birth certificate) Until he goes to court, the Mother has all the rights, and the father has no legal rights.

    Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

  • BTW- YOU can push the issue for paternity to be established if he is denying the baby and you want Child Support. Either parent can petition the court to establish rights, and set support and visitation orders..

    Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

  • In Texas they have to sign a paper saying they are the father before getting put on the birth certificate and if they want to challenge that later they have to pay for a DNA test. But if they sign the paper and are on the birth certificate then they have the same rights as the mother and they have to go to court if you split up to do custody and child support.


    Answer by JAIRATRACI at 4:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.