So what happens if I can't afford to buy health insurance and then I can't afford to pay the taxes? What will happen to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You get put on Medicaid
    Anonymous

• SO then it will be like having no insurance anyway? What's the point?

All the people I know on medicaid have a really hard time finding a doctor. I have to take my daughter to a clinic in the next town that takes Amerigroup (a type of medicaid here in Texas) and it's really hard to get her into the doctor. Then when I do I have to wait for 2 hours to see the doctor.

I usually just take her to the ER.

I guess I don't understand the point of passing this if I'm not going to get to use it anyway.
    Anonymous

• You only get put on medicaid if you make less than $20,000/yr. If you make more than that you will be fined a minimum of $650/yr and a maximum of 2.5% of your gross income. If you don't pay THAT find, you will be charged with tax evasion and fined $15,000 and possibly face jail time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• What NP said.
    Anonymous

• WHAT???? OMG! What am I going to do?

I make more than 20,000 dollars a year. Not a whole lot more but more.

I can't afford to pay the 650 or 2.5 percent, let alone 15000!

And Jail? OMG what will happen to my daughter if I can't pay?

I can't believe this. I didn't know this was the case. I really can't believe this.

Are there going to be discounted health insurance places or something?

If I could afford insurance now I would have it and my daughter wouldn't have Amerigoup. I think I'm going to cry...
    Anonymous

• At tax time you'll get a subsidy check reimbursing you for whatever you paid out the year before up to a certain amount, so say your premium is $600/mo and your subsidy is 50% - you pay $600/mo for 12 months and come tax time you get a refund of $3600.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think that is part of the problem people DIDN'T know what it said and just "yay health care for everyone"

NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in life is free. We will pay for it one way or another!!
    Anonymous

• And where exactly are they getting the money to reimburse us?????

Doesn't anyone care how much debt the US is in?? We have sold ourselves to China???
    Anonymous

• Your reaction is the same one many many many people are having today!

All these people wanted FREE healthcare for everyone. Not possible! The people who get penalized the most are the people like you, not "poor" you work to earn your living....but not wealthy!

You make too much to be "free" and not enough to pay for the insurance easily!

Welcome to America, land of the "not" so free.

Dont worry yet, surely there will be an answer for you...
    Anonymous

That would be from the massive tax increases, the surcharges added to medical equipment, and all the money they are going to collect from us over the next 4 years before they actually pay for anything - that way they have 10 years of revenue with only 6 years of payout. Of course, once that 4 year head start runs out...you might want to start learning Cantonese or Mandarin.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010