does anyone know if u need joint legal and joint physical custody to get full parenting time or do they only need joint legal

my sons dad and I share legal custody but I have sole physical custody. and he says he gets him for 2 months this summer.

snoopydoos

Asked by snoopydoos at 4:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• He gets what is stated in the court papers. Period. If it says more than 2 months then yes he gets more than 2 months.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It depends on how the court order is written. If you have joint legal custody, I would assume that his parenting time is addressed. If it's not, consult your state guidelines - these ares the "default" parenting times. All physical custody is for (at least in Ohio) is to determine which school system the child is entered into. It doesn't ever mean that the other parent doesn't get full parenting time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have sole legal & physical custody of my son. Our court papers state his dad is allowed "reasonable" visitation...and I get to decide what that means to me.
    Anonymous

• Anon :42 - reasonable doesn't mean that you get to decide, it means that you have to be reasonable in allowing access. If you are not, the courts will fall back to standard visitation guidelines. You could also find yourself in contempt for not supporting the father's right to see his child.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• it depends on the papers. here minimum guidelines state that it would 1/2 the summer vacation. so right now my SO gets his kids every thursday and every other weekend. during his 1/2 the summer, BM would get them only every thursday and every other weekend. this is the first time we will have to actually do this since before the parenting time was all different. yeah here physical custody means basically where the children live most of the time. even though before because my SO never had it changed, we had them more, but legally she had physical custody....sorry....

this summer my SO plans on taking his 1/2 the summer whether BM likes it or not.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• the thing is he's not actually even in school yet. my son just turned 4 yesterday. so do I jst go by the school schedule. n the only time we ve been to court was for paternity. n the court papers only said supervised visits at mothers discretion. I want him to stay with his dad but not for 2 months straight. any ideas on other ways to schedule it that would be fair. he already sees him on wednesday and every other weeknd.
    snoopydoos

Answer by snoopydoos at 6:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i would try alternating weeks during "summer break". here it is only 10 weeks long & its only suppose to be 1/2 the summer not, the whole summer.

Here is how I would alternate it:

Week 1 (assuming you have them the weekend before "summer break")
    Sunday - Dad
    Monday - Dad
    Tuesday - Dad
    Wednesday - Mom
    Thursday - Dad
    Friday - Dad
    Saturday - Dad

Week 2:
    Sunday - Mom
    Monday - Mom
    Tuesday - Mom
    Wednesday - Dad
    Thursday - Mom
    Friday - Mom
    Saturday - Mom

Week 3
    Sunday - Dad
    Monday - Dad
    Tuesday - Dad
    Wednesday - Mom
    Thursday - Dad
    Friday - Dad
    Saturday - Dad

Week 4:
    Sunday - Mom
    Monday - Mom
    Tuesday - Mom
    Wednesday - Dad
    Thursday - Mom
    Friday - Mom
    Saturday - Mom

etc. I would do that for the whole break since you sound like you trust his dad enough
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• then you only go 3 days at a time without seeing him and you can still talk to him on Mondays and Fridays you dont have him. I would also let Dad call on your Mondays and Fridays.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• by the way it cut my previous answer off...but it sounds like you trust his dad to care for him and understand that your son needs his time with his dad.

you sound like you are trying to be very reasonable. I understand not wanting to go 2 months straight. that would be VERY hard. Good luck. hope you find something that works for both you, your son, and your ex.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Presuming you have a court order and your court order is set up to follow standard visitation guides for your state, then you can Google "standard visitation schedule" and get a good idea of what's normal in your state.

In Texas, for example, it's changed over the years but EITHER the month of July or 42 days between school being let out and school going back into session either commencing July 1st or as provided in writing by April uh...1st? I think. And then the custodial parent has until April 15th to specify 1 weekend if 30 days and 2 weekends of visitation if it's over 40 days...something like that.

The whole point is that it's VERY convoluted and this is why people should READ THEIR COURT ORDERS since it's all spelled out in there. Hence the whole court order thing.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2010