Confused on Census

I dont know what to mark on the race part of the census for my husband because he is Mexican. Both his parents are Mexican (they were born in Mexico; he was born here..and NO he's NOT illegal!). Our children therefore are half-Mexican as well. I am white, non-Hispanic. Everyone says mark "white" for him & the kids but I don't agree this is correct. There is a place to write in a race but what "race" exactly is a Mexican person? My husband doesn't even know. He just considers himself Mexican & that's it. Certainly NOT white. Can anyone help us decide?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OP here: After much research & discussion we finally decided to use "mestizo" as his race (and marked white & wrote in mestizo for the kids). Mestizo being a mixed race of European & Amerindian. It made sense since Mexicans are a mixture of the native Indians of that area & Europeans (Spanish).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• He is White and Hispanic. So, where you are white/ non-hispanic. He is white/ Hispanic.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Hispanic? I have already closed my census so I dont remember all the options. But Mexican is hispanic, last I knew. And your children would be hispanic (bi-racial) as well. Again, I dont remember the options on the form. I wish I could be of more help.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Tell the truth. Mark hispanic for him, white non-hispanic for you, and mixed race for your children.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You can mark all. I am half-hispanic and half Chinese. I marked hispanic for mine and also Chinese. My husband is white and Chinese, I marked white and chinese for him. For my daughter I marked, white, hispanic, Chinese, and then wrote in mult-racial.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• OP here: Its not about "truth". I want to mark the correct thing!

Anyway, how is he white? Seriously. He is brown lol. There is one section about hispanic or non hispanic origins & then another question about race...white, black, indian, asian, all kinds of stuff & a write in section. Of course I marked, non hispanic & white for myself! My husband says he is not white, he is Mexican. Is Hispanic or Mexican also a race? That is what I do not get.
    Anonymous

• My children are half white, half mexican as well. There isn't a box to check for hispanic. I'm filling it in myself.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• To be clear, there ARE boxes to check for origin, and the census states that Hispanic origins are not races.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• OP here: So even though my husband is brown, his parents are brown, & so were his grandparents they are considered "white"?
    Anonymous

• Apparently that's what they're going with. Marking his origin as mexican is enough I guess.

Interesting thing though - my DH was born in 1974 in California. His birth certificate calls him caucasian. It's just how things were done back then.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010