Do you think today's toys have taken away imagination?

I remember when I was growing up in the early 80's, we had dolls that didn't do too much more than pee if we put water in them, or said mama and cried. Maybe an "I love you" sometimes. Our kitchen toys required OUR minds and hands to make them work. Action figures only moved if you made them. Sometimes a robot would move, but not like today. Artificial pets, life-like babies, mini cars instead of Big Wheels... The list goes on. What happened to our world of imagination, and do you think it has affected today's kids? Do your kids seem to use less imagination than you did when growing up? I know mine seem to, so I try to work it in. Sometimes they look at me like I'm crazy!

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 5:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son had mostly "use your imagination" toys. He is 14, so, maybe there are less now. IDK His kitchen, action figures, cars...etc All required his imagination to get any effect out of them. I puposely went for that though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Oh and another thing. The experts say that imagination in children start at 18 months and any sooner than that is imitation. My son was showing it way before that. So, maybe because he was forced to. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I absolutely think that tv and video games ruin kids imagination! When I grew up we played in the good ole' dirt. Toy cars and dolls and crafty stuff. My kid will not have a tv.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i have 4 kids, 3 are pretty imaginative, but one is pretty realistic or literal.
    i think some kids are different.
    my child that is not creative with toys, is a very good creative writer.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think that todays toys take no thought to play with-they pretty much do everything for the kids. My daughter has "old" dolls, my son has hot wheels. They build houses with blocks and legos and if it is nice out they don't come in. They are 5 and 3 and I want them to play and use their imagination and run and burn energy. I try to avoid toy that don't make them think.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My sons were outside even with game consoles they chose outside because they could play longer and the library required walking but we could also do trips past the antique cannon and world war two store or that's what they called it. stuff like t.v. was over too soon or stuff that did not require much thought did not interest them and they are still like that today.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think imagination is overated, too much of that and not much on logical thinking. I think there's too much imagination in todays society, and not enough of the real and concrete.
    Anonymous

• I think that a lot of parents allow their children too much television and video game time. when I was growing up we had a game system but we played outside with our friends more than being cooped in the house. But mother never wanted us in house during cleaning time.
    Anonymous

You are entitled to you opinion but my god - could you imagine the world without imagination? Where would be all be?
    Anonymous

• Yes, today toys limit the imagination of children. But I don't believe that it is a new limitation. Even many toys from the 80's limited imagination. But even so....it is up to parents to decide what toys dominate their children's playrooms. If more parents, as consumers, demanded toys that had more creative flexibility then the toy industry would respond. I believe it is not accidental that major toy corporations want your child (and mine) to be "dumbed down" and satisfied with the product of their careful consideration and choosing. They work very hard at advertising and finding creative ways to get not only the child to buy into the toy but also the parent. Limiting a child's imagination means creating a good dumbed down society and ensure a large pool of laborers instead of real competition.  Why would rich corporate America want your child to compete with their child?

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010