How do I get my 2 year old son to potty IN the toilet?

Ok, so I started potty training my son a couple of months ago. He does amazing if I keep him naked. As soon as I put underwear on him he will mess. Now it seems as if it has gotten worse. He doesn't want anything to to with the potty. He will just go potty on the floor. He will be sitting there playing with his trains and just go, acting like nothing happened. Please, I need some advice.

Kimleeper

Asked by Kimleeper at 5:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh man, we're going through a lot of this, too! My dd is almost 2, and she has learned to take off her clothes and diaper/underwear, and if I am not RIGHT THERE she'll just go on the floor, and THEN come tell me. Its awful.

I know one thing that has really helped us is rewarding her with a candy (like a single MM) every time she goes on the potty. And then when it is getting close to the time when she should be going, I tell her, "If you need to go potty we can go to the toilet, and then you'll be a big girl and get a big girl candy!" And she usually gets excited and goes.

HOWEVER, you need to keep in mind it is possible that he just isn't ready yet. Don't force it if he isn't ready. Also keep in mind EVERY child is different, and there are many, many other things that work for other kids that won't work for him. Try something for a few days (BE VERY CONSISTENT) and if it isn't working, move on to something else.
    Anonymous

• From previous conversations with you, I know you have already show him how much fun it can be by giving him candy, and cheering. So honestly i would say just keep on it asking him if he has to go every 30 minutes or so and keep on with the cheering and excitement when he does go. Then when he doesn't i would figure out a way to discipline him without being physical but still catches his attention so that he know what he is doing is wrong. Because you have told me that he was almost potty trained a couple other times but vacations have set you back. so just keep on trying.... good luck
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• One thing we do as far as "discipline" when she doesn't go on the potty is have her "clean it up". Like if she wets in her underwear, we make her take them off by herself, and show her that it is gross to go potty in her pants. I tell her, "Yucky, we don't like to be wet in our pants, do we?" (I don't make her clean up, I give her a bath and stuff, but having to take her undies off herself is punishment enough! LOL).
    Anonymous

• My son did this as well... At first it was great!!! Then it was nothing.... How frustrating right?

He's 2 so he understands the basics right. It seems he's capable, and that maybe the toilet is NO LONGER exciting to him.

It seems he's ready.... However it may be more of a chore for him, rather than an exciting event.

My suggestion is to bring back some of the excitement. Make it less of a chore.

Buy a bucket of all a dollar trinkets, and treats.... Get a sticker chart going. When he's gone so many times in a row with no accident, reward him with a draw from the bucket. LET him put the stickers on the chart after he's gone potty.

Be consistent. It's a draining process, and can be super hard when you've got things to do, and yet need to watch a naked little body to make sure they don't leave a present in the hallway...lol.. Just be consistent and that will help limit the amount of time it takes to train your child.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2010