How will this healthcare bill affect you personally?

I'm still learning about it. If I'm 'middle class with coverage through mine or my DH's employment it won't affect me much, right?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 5:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay, OP...I'll try and explain it.

The problem with forced health care is, those who DON'T have it, but MUST purchase it or be fined...will in all likelihood just pay the fines, until which time as they get sick or injured, and suddenly they NEED insurance.

Then they call whichever private health care plan they want, and since ALL private companies HAVE to accept people without insurance the moment they call, and these people have NOT been paying said company coverage premiums, the companies will eventually go out of business! Insurance companies make their money by "gambling" that subscribers won't "cash in" on their plans, and will keep paying their premiums (which they invest).

When these companies go out of business, you will be FORCED to get on GovCare--whether you like it or not, because it will be the only plan in town.

That's why even those of us with private insurance are so concerned!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't have a freaking clue. Everyone is freaking out, and I don't even know what to think about it. I have full coverage insurance though work, for my entire family, so I don't know if it will help or hurt us...
    Anonymous

• lol keep telling yourself that
    some companies have already sent out notice that employer based premiums will be rising 20% or more this year to compensate for their additional expenses
    Anonymous

• i havent read to much about it, but from what i heard that we have to carry health insurance, that maybe a problem cause we can barely afford to get by as it is without paying for insurance. our kids get state medical and because we make over the limit we have to pay 60 a month into medicaid to receive benefits... the insurance through my husband's work will be 500 a month plus high deductible..there is no way we can afford that.
    Anonymous

• I see a raise in my insurance premiums coming.
    Anonymous

• It won't affect us anytime soon unless my husband gets out the Military, and he plans to retire from the Military

Anonymous

• Assuming this bill survises the ammendments process and the inevitable Supreme Court challenges, my family's insurance rate will sky rocket to a total per month higher than what we currently pay in rent and utilities combined.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 6:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the company who shares cost with you. See, when the insurance companies ar socked with the millions of dollars of taxes andnew regulations this bill brings they insurance company will be raising rates so they can still make a profit. I bet your monthly or your deductable or your co pay go up next year. Don't forget about the taxes you will pay. If you have certain investments that make you money (including the sale of a house) you will pay more tax on it. There are also hidden taxes and fees such as extra taxes on sweet things like sodas, also medical items such as crutches, diabetes supplies, wheel chairs and such. things you may not use every day but might need some day. there are other bad things such as one of the deals struck was a deal with big pharma that says when a new drug is made a generic is not allowed for 12 yrs. Not a big thing but it could cost you someday.
    Read the bill
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2010