Mommy, How'd the baby get in your belly?

SO, we're having #4 and today my son asks me "Mommy, how DID the baby get your belly anyway?" He's almost 6, he's more informed than most of his classmates. He knows that it takes a mommy and daddy to make a baby, that boys a have penis (at this point he thinks it's sole purpose is peeing) and women have special place called a uterus that the baby grows in. He also knows you have to go to the hospital and push the baby out (he relates this to pooping) and he's even seen some of the far less graphic delivery shows.
However, up until this point I have ever so gracefully avoided anything related to sex itself and while he's pretty mature and has an excellent grasp of human anatomy........I'm at a total loss lol. I don't want to fill his head with fairytales, but at the same time 6 is way too early for a full on sex chat. Any suggestions?

Slinkee

Asked by Slinkee at 5:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we told our son that a sperm comes from daddy and an egg comes from mommy, they grow together and turn into a baby. that is why the baby looks a little like mommy and a little like daddy. we talked a bit about the baby having gills like a shark early on that turn into lungs, eyes, mouth, nose...
    anyhow, i think it was enough information to distract him from how the egg and sperm come together :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Im not comfortable telling my 8 yr old where the penis actually goes yet. lol So Im excited to see some of the answers and get some advice. So far, Ive gotten away with:

"That is a great discussion that I would like to share with you when you are a little bit older." age 6
    "Mommy and Daddy decide to put the baby there." age 7
    "Let me think about it." age 8

LOL Advice please!

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• say when 2 people get married they have this special way of doing things..its called "making love" when a mom and dad make love its something so special ,its like planting a flower. dads job is to plant a seed in mom and mommy gets to grow it in her,the way you get it is by making love,what is making love? its hugs kisses its hard to describe what love is but ist something beautiful and because God made is perfect for each other our bodies go together.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Lol, we were in public when he asked and I just told him it was a "silly story" and we could talk about when we got home....thankfully we're about to leave for wrestling practice and he hasn't brought it back up yet...maybe I will get lucky and he'll forget about it. At least for the night.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think you both may need to go ahead and just come right out and tell them. It won't be long before thier schoolmates inform them and probably in a wrong way. Better to know the correct way huh? Make sure you emphasize that only married couples like mommy and daddy should ever do that. Explain semen comes from daddy and mixes with an egg in mommy and a baby is formed. Your kids sound inquisitive enough to know from you before they seek out others to ask.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Experts say that you should start the "talks" at age 8. Hard to think about as a mother of an 8 year old boy but I will be doing it soon.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 5:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i kinda like the way busylovinghim explains it with planting a flower...maybe i will do that when my time comes =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Ditto busylovinghim
    That is a good idea

Just don't do what my ex did!
    Son- daddy how did the baby get in pams belly?
    dad- she got a shot
    Son - OH

Next day Elijah ( my son) goes for shots and starts screaming NO I DON'T WANT A BABY IN MY BELLY!!!!!!

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My son is 7 his dad actually has already had the talk with him last year. I wasn't comfortable with it and was actually upset at first because I thought he wasn't ready. But you know what? He suprised me he wasn't upset about it he just asked me if I knew how babies were made because the story I told was totally different lol. He then went on the explain to his pregnant mommy how the baby really got there lol.
    nautired

Answer by nautired at 8:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My 5 year old asked the other day how the baby gets out. I just said there is a special place where it comes out. She's smart, but no so mature, and if I tell her now she'll go around repeating it and laughing. I'm hoping I still have some time before it comes up again.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2010