How do you teach good sportsmanship??

We just taught my soon to be 5 yr old(may) to play Sorry. And you can tell he loves to play the game. First time we played he won. But has not since that first one. Well today when we were playing Daddy won. And I always try to tell him to say good game after, which he did. But the he looked up at me with this pitiful face and started crying and saying Phillip won. I felt so terrible this was the first time he did this. We did comfort him and tell him its ok. But you can't always win. And mommy didn't win and I was ok too. Now I could go with what my friend said let him win. But I look at it like he is not always going to win at everything. And you have to learn to lose graciously when you do. How do you teach your children sportsmanship?

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've always just done it by example. Once your son starts playing in sports teams and such, he will get better with his sportsmanship (well, as long as he has a good coach!lol)
    It takes time to learn,though. So don't feel bad if he's not quite there yet.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2010