Did Jesus really do something great?

Some say that it was the most loving sacrifice ever. So if you were given the choice to die for everyone you wouldn't? Well most would. So anybody could have done what he did, not very spectacular. I don't see how it was such a big deal either, I mean I'm sure much worse has been done to people than what was, supposedly, done to Jesus. He also knew he would come back to life and go back to his happy go lucky life in the clouds. So, not much of a sacrifice I say.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jesus was a blood sacrifice demanded by a violent heathen god (his father Yahweh), and his sacrifice story is remarkably similar to the story of the Greek god Dionysus' death and resurrection, and of the Persian deity Mithras, the Egyptian deity Osiris, and so on with any number of god-men in times before Jesus was even born. Nothing that Jesus did was any more spectacular than the myriad of myths and legends that went on before him. Even his miracle-working was not unique. There were a rather large number of holy men, in his own time, that did the same things he did.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I can see your point. However I don't truly get the reason is this just to insult or is there a real reason. Maybe if you explain it a little better. Anon is that really appropriate. Her statement makes sense, it's really not that idiotic to ask. It does depend on reason though whether it is worth responding to. OP yes Jesus sacrificed his life knowingly the biggest thing I think he did that set him aside is that he asked god not to blame his persecutors for they know not what they do. Not many of us could do that. The other sacrifice made by his death was that of god sacrifice of his only begotten love. God made a sacrifice I don't think any of us would ever do in a million yrs. I know I wouldn't
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• So are you saying he is real? Thats great if you are.

Of course he did something great. He is special because he is God's begotten son. Only God's son could be our savior. He did it with perfection and sanctified God's name and his soverignty. When God sent his own son, it showed his love and mercy for us. He could have said no in the beginning because he was already in heaven.

No one is worthy of offering their life to save us because we are have inherited sin. Jesus was not a sinner, he was perfect and maintained his perfection. His blood was clean. Ours is not. So he is the one who is worthy of being the savior. Romans 5:1819 - 1 Cor 15:45
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My personal opinion is...he didn't sacrfice himself at all. I believe he was put to death, end of story. I believe he was an incredible human being, who reached a point of peace about himself that very few other people have reached. Yet, he preached about to others, because he was filled with so much love and light within.
    His presence threatened others, and they killed him for it. His ability to reach the people, and to show them through his life that inner love and light is capable without anyone else, threatened people in power.
    So, I don't think his death was magnificent. But his life certainly was.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Not only was he tortured and hung on a cross to die, but he took upon himself all of the sins of the world, past, present, and future. God the father could not look at him at that point because he can not look upon sin, so Jesus was alone in his pain and torture. That is what he did that was so great.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yes and no. He stood up for what he believed in and was seen as a heretic and threat to thos ein power because he gave hope to the oppressed and was put to death for it. That in itself is great. However he did not die for all of mankind, sins or no sins, past present or future. That is merely a story that has been sensationalized.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Here's what confuses me. If god created jesus to teach mankind, and also to take all of their sins upon him and die for them... how is it a sacrifice? God made him specifically for that, meaning everything he said and did, and the manner of his death, was preordained and unavoidable. So where does the sacrifice part come in?
    To me, sacrifice means you do something you don't want to for the benefit of someone else... not saying he WANTED to be crucified, but wasn't he told as a child that it would happen to him, and what his purpose in life was? He was born to die. Which makes his dying the expected conclusion... not a choice.
    Also, as the OP said... he knew he'd rise from the dead, ascend to heaven, and live there eternally. Is it really a sacrifice if you get a reward for it?
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Jesus was already in heaven. He came to earth as a sacrifice. He could have said no.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• What Yahshua did for us may not mean much to you, because you do not understand the whole picture of what he did by his death and resurrection. Yes everyone knows he died for our sins, so that we may have a relationship with Yahweh. Which we could not do other wise, but there is much more to what he has done for us than what is taught. So I can understand why you do not appreciate what he has done. In order for you to "get" what the big deal is,you will have to turn to Yahweh, and ask him for enlightenment. I could tell you, but lets be honest; it would mean more coming from Yahweh than me. So I suggest getting a bible, and asking Yahweh for guidence and then read the bible and allow his word to explain it to you. That is what worked for me, and now I "get" alot of things, but I am still learning new things everyday. Yahweh bless you

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Sacrifice meaning he paid a debt he didn't owe because we owed a debt we could not pay. His life was not taken from him, (he was God in the flesh) but he laid it down willingly for love. The only sacrifice that could pay such a debt had to be divine. The Father sent him, yet gave him his own free will in the matter. God does not force us to do anything and He didn't force His son. It is hard to understand, but he experienced life in human form with all of it's pain, betrayal, weakness, fear, sadness, etc; yet he retained his divinity. Sacrfice IS rewarded in heaven. OUR sacrifices will be rewarded in heaven. Sacrifice means acting for the greater good rather than our own personal gain according to God's will. Following God's will (or any sacrifce) out of love and reverence is not the same as seeking "brownie points" it is all about a closer walk with Him. Learning more of Him and sharing Him with those in need.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010