How can I get my 2 and 1/2 year old to stop urinating on furniture and floor?

My 2 1/2 year old daughter will take all of her clothes off and pee in the floor or on the furniture in the mornings. Never during the day, only in the mornings when she first wakes up.
She knows it is wrong, I make sure she knows what she did, have her clean it up then put her in time out afterwards. She continues to do this!
I feel desperate for help as my home is starting to smell like urine! I feel like im potty training a puppy!

deftonespink

Asked by deftonespink at 5:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why are you not with her when she first gets up? Try getting up before her and keep an eye on her. She won't be able to do it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Maybe if you have her use the bathroom when she first gets up and then after her breakfast as well? I do agree with the PP that you should be with her, but you cant keep your eye on her 24/7 so maybe just an extra visit or two to the bathroom will help. GOOD LUCK!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• This sounds just like my dd, I could have written this same post. She's two to and it drives me crazy. I have a potty chair in my bathroom that I make her sit on first thing in the morning. It's helped some but she is still doing it. Maybe we just need more time. I'm thinking of getting a second potty to put in the living room seeing that's her favorite place too pee. Dh suggested overalls, I'm gonna try that next. Put them on backwards so she can't takem off and pee when I can't get too her right away.

Just wanted you to know someone out there sympathizes with you. Maybe someone has some ideas for the both of us. :-)
    Anonymous

• Have you tried ignoring it? She may be doing it for extra attention. If you just act like you don't care when she pees on the furniture but when she goes on the potty reward her. You can get her a potty sticker chart. You make a chart with each day of the week and she gets a sticker for each time she uses the potty and after a certain number of stickers she gets a reward.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Maybe, not allow her in the living room until she has used the potty. I would not put the potty in the living room, bad habit to break, if she likes it now you have another issue. Is she doing this in front of you? before she gets dressed? does she wet her pants? the suggestion of having overalls on may help. Is she getting up before you?
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 7:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• She gets up before me and is such a sneak! By the time she comes into my bedroom and I wake up, she has already peed somewhere. She comes into my bedroom naked, and this is how I know she has peed somewhere. I know, I know, I should be up before her, but with the schedule I have its really hard. She only does this when I am asleep in the mornings, sometimes she comes in and crawls in bed with me, and must get up off of the bed, and pee right on my floor next to the bed because there have been pee spots there as well. She does wet the bed from time to time as well.
    I will try the potty chart, as I feel like I have tried everything else. I leave a light on the bathroom, everything. When I ask her why she does it she says "I dont know" or she says "I didnt" she started doing this about 2 months ago and has still not stopped.
    deftonespink

Answer by deftonespink at 3:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree with not letting her in living room until she's used the potty. my son peed on the living room floor for a little bit and I do think it was for attention (he would look right at me when he did it). I would sit him on the potty at the time of day he usually did it and he didn't get up until he went, sometimes he would sit there for 20-30 minutes but he learned and hasn't done it since. Just don't give her the chance to do it.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• does she pee in her own room? if her door is closed at night put a buzzer on it. when she opens it it will go off and wake you up. if you wanted to do more put in a motion light in the hall so that will wake you up. something that will let you know she is up. if she does pee in her room you might want a motion light in there put in a way that it only goes off whe she gets out of bed. maybe reward her with snuggles and some book time in bed with you in the morning if she calls you when she gets up. pick the book out the night before. my granddayghters love snuggle book time...
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 10:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2010