Would you be upset if you told your kids Santa wasn't real, and their Grandmother said he is.

How would you handle this problem? My 1st grader says Grandma is right and Santa is real. So pretty much she's calling me and her dad a liar. We'd rather her know that its Jesus' birthday, and that we're the ones buy the gifts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• Yes I would be. Just like if my MIL tells my kids that he isn't real I will be mad. She is teaching her 5 year old that he isn't real. My kids will learn different from what I tell them when they are older.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 6:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i would talk to herand tell her you had your chance to raise your kids now its mine
    Anonymous

• My mother in law does this too.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i suppose it is too late now, but couldn't santa be giving gifts to celebrate the birthday of Jesus? maybe he could even bring just 3 gifts, like the three wisemen brought Jesus?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yes! I would talk to the grandma and tell her she needs to stop.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I did tell her to stop, and she still does it. They celebrate christmas with her also, She has gifts under her tree for them for her house... And I told her I told want them to be told that, but she does it anyway.... She's my ex husbands mother. He doesn't see them, but she still does. I tell her how i want things, but she still always does them how she wants.. and then says "oh well i'm soooo sorry, i would NEVER go against you" BS.... but then the next year again.. she does the same thing.
    Anonymous

• *didnt want them to be told that i meant to say..
    Anonymous

• I personally believed in Santa until I was 15, but knew we were celebrating Jesus. I was raised Roman Catholic and Christmas was all about Jesus but Santa was there too. If you don't want your kids to believe in Santa though just tell them that Grandma likes to play make believe. Say that she likes to play pretend and that is why she says Santa is real.

I personally think kids should have something like Santa to believe in. It makes them believe that anything is possible.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Tell your kids Grandma's a crazy old bat.
    Anonymous

• Maybe allow the children to believe in Santa in their hearts wither he is real in your eyes or not just as you are telling them that Jesus was born on that day (which we all know he wasn't) and that is why you celebrate.
    It does not hurt to allow children to have an imagination and since you have already told them he is fake, I would think that they do know this in the heads, but in their hearts would rather believe.
    Ppl now-a-days just love taking a child's childhood completely away from them... it is simply sad that this generation of parents are taking so much away from children...

Good Luck and why not let Grandma be "Grandma"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2010