toddler having nightmares

I need some help I'm a young mom I'm 22 but anyways my three year old son is having nightmares the last couple of nights and one was bad where i couldnt wake him up it was like he thought i was the bad guy. What can I do, help please

landons3mommy3

Asked by landons3mommy3 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• *sad* it could be night terrors, which is scary because they can sometimes eventually turn into sleepwalking. our pediatrician helps us thru this w/ our son who is now 5 1/2, had 'em since he was 2 or so.

does your kiddo remember them in the morning?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• yes he does remember them in the morning ..
    landons3mommy3

Answer by landons3mommy3 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm 22 with a 3/yo also. My pediatrician couldn't really offer any help with night terrors, which is what it sounds like more than a nightmare. You can't wake a child from a night terror (and most people tell you not to try to)... when my son (3 now) had them he looked wide awake, but you could tell from his eyes he just 'wasn't there' and was just screaming and flailing, didn't want anyone to touch him, etc. After a (usually long) while he would calm down and I'd sit with him until he went back to sleep. It's really sad to see him terrified and not being able to help him, but I'd just do a google search on Night Terrors if you can't find more help here.
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 8:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My daughter has the same problem. She is 4 now and had been having these episodes since before she was 2. When I asked her Dr. he said it seemed to be Night Tremors and that they are usually a form of seizer, which confused me pretty bad. He did some blood work but there was no answer. Lately she has begun to wake her self up on her own and get in bed with me. The only thing I could ever really do was hold her and reassure her that I was there and she was ok until she laid back down. It can be scary to deal with but it seems like it's getting to be very common lately! If you see a dr about it and don't get the satisfaction you need move on to another dr, that's my next step :)
    Tracy912

Answer by Tracy912 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• im 21 with a 3yr old, and this has happened to my son a few times too. once, it got to the point where he was scared to even be in his bed. i took him downstairs for 10-15 min, calmed him down and let him lay on the couch, then took him back to bed and he fell right asleep. i really don't think there is anything you can do about it though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2010