Helllp with a 1 y/o that is on a weird sleeping schedule.. I'm sooo tired

He only wakes up once or twice at night, which never bothered me before.. But lately he's been taking a nap at 5:30 pm and then is up until midnight!

He takes a nap in the early afternoon for about a few hours, so I don't think he should be tired around 5:30. He consolidated his 2, 1.5 hour naps into that 3 hour stretch about a month ago. He just started doing this nap at 5:30 thing a week ago and it's wearing on me because I don't get to go to bed til 12:30 or later and then he often wakes up at 2:30 am. then 6 am. When he was going to bed at 8:30, that was FINE because I'd been asleep for many hours already. But now I just don't understand why he's so tired at 5:30. I've even tried putting him in his high chair and giving him snacks - he just cried and tried to lay his head on his tray :(
Do I need to change when his afternoon nap is or something? Do you think it's because his daddy has been working late?? HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try holding off on his early nap. He may be ready to switch to one nap a day. This way you can push back the early nap and pull forward the evening nap and he will go to bed at a more reasonable time. Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• He HAD consolidated his early nap and later nap into one nap. That's what I said.. He moved his nap from 9:30 am and 11:30 am to 12:30 pm for 3 hours. He wakes up around 3:30.. and then wants to go back to sleep 2 hours later and then is UP super late.

I don't know how to fix it.
    Anonymous

• Maybe I need to go back to the 2 nap routine not the 1 nap routine
    Anonymous

• I would try playing with and adjusting the nap schedule. I know that mine is tired around 5:30 but bed time is at 7 so I make her push through. I find a lot of activities to keep her going. Sometimes she just needs to go to bed early and we just have to deal, but she usually wakes around the same time no matter what time we put her to bed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• What time does he usually go to bed? Maybe he is going through a growth spurt or something. I would just try to not let him nap at 5:30, but move bedtime earlier like 7-7:30 and see if that helps.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My 2 yr old does the same thing. She just went to bed about 30 min ago and she has been doing this so long that its normal to me.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think I would just not let him fall asleep... there is no reason to be so tired after just waking from a 3 hour nap. If he is starting to get tired at that time I think I would do something to make him very active and wake up... maybe go play outside or run around the house and play "chase" with him or something to get the blood pumping. And then move his bedtime to 7:30 rather that 6:30. If he does fall asleep wake him back up, don't let him sleep.
    I think in just a few days he'll have adjusted to his new sleep schedule.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2010