How much will it cost to raise a baby?

I'm 18 and I'm pregnant. I just want to know how much it will be.
Like if I breastfeed and such, it'll save money but I can't do it forever.

This isn't to help me decide if I should keep the baby, I'll keep it no matter what. I just want to know.
Please & Thank you!

jamieto

Asked by jamieto at 6:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL. I can't answer anything but.. ALOT... Kids are NOT cheap! Good luck....
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 6:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• About 10,000 for the first few years,probably more,even if you breastfeed theres pumps,storage bags etc.Diapers run you about 30 bucks a week or more,clothes,strollers,carseats,crib,the list goes on!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Ahh! Haha, well that's somewhat helpful @MJ_BN_FE & @TMJ121099 :D
    jamieto

Answer by jamieto at 6:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Anonymous

• Very expensive and when they can pack away more food than you in one sitting you will want to stop feeding them!!! LOL Congrats and I wish you luck. It is really expensive.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Well, it depends.Start with the first cost...which would generally be medical insurance.Its good that you have decided to do breast feeding, that will definitely save you money there.For our baby we spend about $30.00 every 2 weeks on diapers and wipes.We buy by the box for both.Then there is clothing,food,daycare(if you'll be using any).
    Really I have never sat down and made a bill out to give either one of them,LOL.
    I just know that there is always something to pay for.And it does depend on your lifestyle too. Some peopl ecan get by on the bare minimum necessities, and of course that doesnt cost much but others live a little more expensivley.
    As they get older, there are more expenses. Like sports and extra curricular activities and such. Glad to see your doing some checking and planning!
    Congrats and good luck with baby! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The cost is different for everyone. It all depends on how you spend your money.
    Breastfeeding is cheaper than formula feeding.
    Cloth diapering is cheaper than disposable diapering.
    Homemade baby wipes are cheaper than store bought baby wipes.
    Homemade baby food is cheaper than store bought baby food.
    Keeping and reusing your baby gear (crib, carseats, stroller,clothing, etc) on following children you have will save money.
    Not buying baby gear that won't get used saves money.
    There's A LOT of factors that determine the cost. You won't find two families that encountered the exact same costs.
    Anonymous

• **grin** Always about $50 a week more than you happen to have at any given point!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• it doesn't have to be that expensive. i am diapering 2 2yo twins right now, and we get 200 diapers for $30...they last 3 weeks. breast feeding will keep costs down. i never had a pump or bottles or bags for storage. i fed on demand, so there was no need for bottles for us. we were very minimal with baby gear. all you have to have is a carseat. most of my babies slept with me and dh. you can get good stuff from yard sales...we got our first crib for $40, and it was in great shape. you do not have to buy a ton of clothes either! my bf babies didn't spit up, so they didn't have to have their clothes changed all the time. when they start school there will be more costs, but you have a little time before you have to worry about that. there will always be more that you want for your baby, but rarely will there be more that you need for your baby!
    congrats and good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010