why do some moms act like they are better than others?

i hate it when moms act like you are underneath them when it comes to knowledge of parenting. i mean unless you are really dumb or just not trying to be a good momma to your babies everyone has to learn how to take care of their children and whats best for them specificly there is no baby directions that come with them when they are born so why do people do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ignore them
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I wonder if they feel they aren't doing a good enough job, and by putting you down, it makes what they are doing like the better choice...when in reality it's not better or worse.
    Anonymous

• Because some women are not capable of realizing that we love our children as much as they love theirs and that we are doing our very best to love them and raise them to be happy and healthy. Many moms think they've cornered the market on that, when really, they are just one millions. Maybe it makes them feel special.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Well sometimes they are better. Anytime I read a post about some idiot ho thinks it's OK to smoke dope at home with their kid, I'm a better parent than you. If you leave your kid home so you can go out drinking, I'm a better parent than you. If you give your kid benadryl so they will sleep at night, I'm a better parent than you. If you have to trick your SO into getting you pregnant, I'm a better parent than you. If think pulling out is a method, I'm a better parent than you. Shall I go on?

Anonymous

• Insecurities...........

Answer by older at 6:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Because everyone, EVERYONE, wants to think the way they think is right and validated, EVEN IF it's only in their own mind!
    Anonymous

• Nobody is perfect. Every mom is always learning, whether they want to believe it or not. They may TRULY believe that they are a better mom than you, but no mom is better than another (unless there are things like drugs and abuse going on and the mom knows it and doesn't care)
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yep. But I think....what can I really do about it? I'm not going to change how I parent (I think I'm doing a good job) and I just don't like conflict. So I smile and nod - them promptly ignore. Now when it is your MIL that is being the bitchy parenting snob queen who thinks she knows it all - ARG!
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Human nature.
    Anonymous

• anon:47 -valid point!
    I think the superiority is a sad part of human nature -some people just want to be top dog, and think they know everything... however every one of us hits a stumbling block. If they have perfect babies, then who knows what their teens will be like. It is up to you to realise that even if they think they are superior, you have a choice as to whether you agree with them or not.
    Great bit of advice when someone is going on at you -just smile and say "I never thought about it like that" it isn't agreeing or disagreeing.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010