MY BABY HAS TURNED INTO A MONKEY!!!

LOL
Seriously, she is climbing on EVERYTHING!
I took a quick shower and when I came out she was happily clicking away on the computer...STANDING on top of the computer chair!
She's climbed on the living room chair and when she seen that I seen her, she squeeled with delight and started doing her baby monkey dance on the chair,LOL.
Oy what am I gonna do with this girl? I think I may need to nail everything to the ceiling,but then again, monkey girl would probably find a way to climb up there too! lol

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 6:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL - I feel your pain. I can't even begin to list all the things that my kids - especially my son - climbed / got himself into. Even with me watching him. Once, in the time it took me to make him a sandwich, he climbed a baby gate that we had covered in cardboard (to try to stop him from climbing it), went up the stairs (the gate was on the first step going up, to add the extra height to try to stop him from going over it), went up the stairs, opened the bathroom door (shut - this was also when he figured out knobs..) climbed on the toilet, from the toilet to the sink, and was starting to eat the comet off the shelf when I got to him. I left him alone in the living room long enough to make him a SANDWICH!

He's 17 now, and my dh still calls him monkey boy sometimes lol!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Oh an another thing she has been doing is pulling out the bottom drawers to the stands we have in the living room and the file cabinet in the computer room and climbing in them to reach for things on top of them! lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• This is why none of the book cases in our house have bottom shelves.
    Anonymous

• What a joy the vertical world becomes when a child can stand on her own two feet! She is exploring her world and gaining confidence in her abilities. You should provide an appropriate place for her to climb, like a play gym and let her know that she is supposed to climb there only. You might also get her a step stool for places where it is safe to climb. Most of all, be ready to catch her when she falls. :-)
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Good idea. I do have a playroom set up for her I could add some climbing toys in there! She'd readlly like that. Maybe a little slide too. :) Better than her playing "skateboard" on the computer chair with wheels,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My son was climbing on things before he could crawl. He would push a toy up to the coffee table or couch, so that he could climb up there. It was crazy. He definately wasn't going to stand for not being able to get anywhere he wanted. Just keep on her and let her know where it is okay to climb and where it is not okay to climb. I like the idea of putting climbing toys in her playroom.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Only the chair? I once found my son on the hutch of my mom's computer desk. He climbs the dresser in his room. Any thing and every thing that looks like it can be climbed he tries to climb.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 7:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• oh my gosh,the hutch? thats crazy! our kids should have built in "danger signals" that go off beeping like crazy when they start climbing,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Oh, and I should mention the time that I came home to find the babysitter sitting on the couch looking stunned while my dd was playing on the floor - the room was trashed, and my ds was in the kitchen. He had opened the oven, pulled out the racks, climbed up them, and was standing on this box like container on the kitchen counter, eating chocolate that was on top of the fridge... (Needless to say, we didn't hire that sitter again, though to be fair, I'm not sure if they would have accepted the job if we tried...)

Just hang in there, and be ready to catch her when she falls. This, too, shall pass :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yes he also stacks stuff to climb. He once stacked a ball(on the bottom), his potty chair bottom upside down, and some bucket thing upside down and climbed up onto it. As you can guess it didn't work very well for him. I wasn't home at the time. My mom was watching him.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010