please help me before I go insane......seriously.....

both my DD's have been very hyper today more hyper than the usual and I can't take it anymore. My DD's are 2 and almost 5 and it is driving me crazy I think my youngest is reacting that way from my oldest, but my oldest she is achually always hyper, but today is just by far the most hyper she has been. I thought she may have ADHD, but everyone else says she doesn't she just has lots of energy. I just told her 5 times to stop being so hyper I told her she is being way to hyper. She keeps running through the house then she is screaming (playing) then my youngest was riding on a little ride on toy my 5 year old has to be so hyper and loud about it jumps on the back and everything just being super hyper. How can I deal with this? How can I disipline this behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Please, PLEASE, please, if you feel in your heart of hearts as a mother that there could be something going on with your daughter that isn't normal, and not just you being sick of your kids and needing a break; then I suggest you ask your pediatrician for a referral to a behavioral therapist. What other behaviors does your dd demonstrate? Does she lack impulsive control. Is this hyperactivity a daily occurance that affects the whole family? Is she easily distracted? Does she have sensory seeking behaviors(always bouncing full force into objects and furniture), is she sensitive to loud noises or certain sounds. I ask because my son was first diagnosed at 5 yrs old for ADHD, and then later diagnosed for Aspergers. He has a hard time making friends, and is also very literal as well. He is Extremely bright, is a visual learner, but in the social sense, he is really lacking, and can often become aggressive with other children....
    Anonymous

• Get off the internet go outside and let them run it out. If you do not have a yard take a trip to the park. Kids need to burn off their energy or they will get ancy.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It has been raining her all day or I would have, she has been outside all last week and even when I do take her outside she is still super hyper. It is pretty bad that I can't get anyone to babysit for me if I have to go the the dr or something because she is so hyper. So even being outside she still has a lot of energy after even being out their for hours. I can let her outside to play from 9 or 10 in the morning until 4 when I go to make dinner take her back out after dinner until like 7:30 and bring her in for bath and she is still that way and she wont go to bed at night even being outside running all day
    Anonymous

• ADHD isn't determined souly by hyperactivity. Mind you.
    Ontop of that you cannot diagnos it in a five year old. All five year olds have energy, short attention spans, etc. Classic signs of ADHD.

Play with her. Run her around outside. Play catch. Color. Do something interactive with her to use up that energy. Just telling her to calm down isn't going to help. You have to use up the energy otherwise she'll just add restlessness ontop of hyperactivity. Which then you'll really go over the edge.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Cont. from above.....I believe that ADHD and Aspergers is a lot more debilitating that most give it credit for. It affects EVERY aspect of their lives, and mostly in a negative way. My son was Always doing things that got him into trouble, and most ppl find themselves exhausted after dealing with him, and most want to avoid dealing with him, that's why finding respite through family members has been a nightmare.
    Listen, LISTEN, to what your instincts are telling you! Your instincts are telling you something, and that something is that the energy and behavior typical of your daughter is NOT normal. Getting a diagnosis for my son has been a long process(about a whole year), and I think having the kindergarten school experience has fastforwarded this experience) My son was just recently suspended from school for his behavior...AND HE'S FIVE! You are not a bad mother for wondering these things....don't listen to things like
    Anonymous

• Oh YOU JUST NEED TO DISCIPLINE MORE!" It's nothing but a crock and is completely non-effective on these kinds of children. It's best when you just stay calm. And oftentimes, it comes down to just damage control. You'll be amazed to find out that your doubtful thinking and wondering whether you really are a bad parent has more to do with the way your dd brain is wired than your lack of consistent parenting! Please, do your dd and you the biggest favor ever, and get your doctor to get you a referral to a person who specializes in behavioral therapy! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Oh, and please tell me what you think about what I said? I want to be supportive, instead of giving you crappy advice, like, GEE, it's all your fault, and you just need to let her run it out of her system! Trust me on this, my friends took my son on a five mile hike, he napped for maybe a half hour on the way back home, and he was still up untill normal bedtime. These kids don't just run down, they are on go, go, go at all times, and that is to be distinguised from normal 5 year old hyperness. I think you know the answer yourself, but it is hard to except that something could be wrong, because that means the answers are not that easy to provide. Don't listen to the naysayers, all they do is judge, they don't have the experience, and aren't objective. LISTEN to what your daily living experience with your daughter is telling you!
    Anonymous

• OP HERE to anon 7:15 impulsive control???? yes this is an everyday thing no matter how much she is running outside or how much I spend with her she is still the same nothing changes this that I can find. Sometimes it does affect the family. She is so hyper and loud times gives me a headache from the loudness. We just don't know what to do about it anymore she seems to be getting more hyper. And since we been going to the school for kindergarden info night and registration things like that getting her ready for the fall to start school seems like she is even more hyper than normal. That could be because hse is exited about school. But she is still hyper even before all this. She has always been this way, but she is also very smart and loves to learn and so I don't know if this is anything, but.....If I do things with just her tv off noone in the room she does fine, but if their is anyone in the room she does get CONT...
    Anonymous

• distractid. But what child doesn't when there is someone in the room? She is not sensitive to loud noises or sounds, but she does at times run and fall into furniture. She does have one friend next door but they fight a lot and mostly from my dd becayuse she will do something to onnoy her friend. Ya that is what veryone keeps telling me I am not disiplining enough or like my mom says I am not spanking hard enough. Forone you can only spank so hard then it is considered abuse.
    Anonymous

• yes you did help anon achually I was thinking if there was a way I could message you or you could message me so that way I can get more info from you or ask you some questions I may have?
    Anonymous