Weaning a breastfed baby...

My baby girl turned six months on march 18th, and I said from the beginning that I was going to "stop" brestfeeding at six months. She wont take a bottle, but she drinks juice (very little bit mixed with water) from a sippy cup. I was going to start pumping and putting my milk in her sippy cup, but the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that her *favorite* sippy cup is one with a straw...I read somewhere that babies drinking through straws all the time leads to tooth decay (she doesn't have any teeth as of yet). I know I should ask her Dr., but wanted to know if anyone else has went through this. Thank you!!!!!

mandi0986

Asked by mandi0986 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It does cause it but only if it's acidic or basic. Breastmilk isn't a problem. My daughter liked the straw ones best too.
    Anonymous

• Wow! The fact that she is drinking from a sippy already is crazy, my son refused a sippy till he was about a yr and a half. I would definatly take the straw away, there really not good and your dentist is right. I was told the same thing not to mention almost my entire family is in someway involved in dentistry and they say the same thing. Is there a reason why you wanted to stop nursing at 6 months?
    Anonymous

• Umm, I think just so that I'd have a little more "freedom" so to speak. I go to school full-time, work part-time, and I'm a single mom (not that I'm the only person in this boat!!), but I revolve my school & work schedules around her so that I can always make her feedings. My grandparents watch her, & thats great because they're very close to where I work and go to school, but it's hard because they're always worried about her being hungry & me not being there to feed her. She does eat solids also.
    mandi0986

Answer by mandi0986 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Why have you determined six months is the max? There are so many benefits for both of you if baby feeds from the breast.

Anonymous

• If you want to wean., your choice. Does she take formula? THat has to be her primary liquid. Solids aren't enough and JUICE is a FAR bigger risk than a straw.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• gdiamante is right on. If you wean, then she's going to need formula until a year old. Personally I would pump and give her the pumped milk in a sippy when she's with the grandparents and then nurse when she's with you.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I still wanted to give her breastmilk, but because she wont take a bottle, I just wanted to know if it was alright to give it to her from her sippy cup.
    mandi0986

Answer by mandi0986 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Breastfed babies tend to do well with cups, thogh she may refuse to take breastmilk from it and may insist on waiting for you.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2010