I'm trying to breastfeed but....

Okay, I had my son on thursday 5 weeks early and his lungs weren't fully developed. He has been eating via IV sugar water. I have been pumping and storing my milk for him. Finally today his IV was taken out and I tried to nurse him. The nurse weighed him before I started. It seemed like he latched on really well and was doing great. However he would only suck for a few minutes then fall asleep. She weighed him again afterward and he only gained 1/4 oz. So she told me to just pump from now on and we can feed him with a syringe. I asked if I should try to nurse and pump afterward so he can still get used to nursning and she said no. Does that seem right? I don't see how he'll ever get it if they don't let us work on it.

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 7:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ugh!!! i hate all the measuring and weighing they do!!! it is ridiculous! growth does not work that way! if you put a seed in soil and measure absolutely everything...water,air and soil...the plant will ultimately weigh more than the components it took in! growth cannot be measured the way they try in the hospital...for goodness sake, if you breathe near that scale it can throw the weight off!
    anyhow, try to put your baby to your breast whenever you can. when i was in the hospital with my preemie the lactation consultants were awful. the nurses wern't as bad, but all that focus on the weight, meant for us more formula. we left the hospital after 26 days and within 3 days of being at home we did go to exclusively breast feeding.
    sorry about the rant...try to relax as much as possible and try to put your baby to the breast whenever you can!
    congratulations on your baby, and good luck to you and your family!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Work work work work work on it!!!!!! Don't give up! If breastfeeding is the way you want to do it, NEVER give up!!!!
    My twin boys wouldn't latch on or bf, and I kept trying now and again, pumping and feeding them the whole time!...... and they finally got it when they were about 3 months old. So never give up!!!
    Anonymous

• She might have said that because of the fact that he fell asleep, and since he was a preemie, he still does need every bit of rest he can get. It might be harder for him to gain weight and get healthy if he's not nursing for more than 1/4 oz worth of time. Maybe give it a week of syringe feeding and if he's doing better, ask to nurse him again.
    Anonymous

• Im so sorry he was early and you and your son are having to go through all this. I had no idea that at 35 weeks there lungs arent fully developed still. But NO NOT LISTEN TO THAT NURSE, HES YOUR BABY NOT HERS!!!!! You had a wonderful idea and I think its great for you to nurse and then have him be bottle fed but really work on the nursing part cause once they get used to the nipple on the bottle its very hard to transfer them back to the breast because for one they dont have to work as hard to get them milk to come out and two the nipple is longer on the bottle and easier for them to suck making there mouth lazy in a way if that makes sense. Trust me I have been through this whole thing but I had someone to help me out and gave me great advice and went on to nurse till my son was 13 months. Best of luck sweetie and he will latch on eventually you just need to work extra hard on it and tell that nurse this is what you want.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yeah it's crazy my first son was born only 3 days farther along than this one and his lungs were fine, I guess you just never know. Thank you!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• According to a question posted on here the other day babies don't eat more than a couple of mL at each feeding. Keep trying to breastfeed.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 7:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Get a supplemental nursing system...it will make a BIG difference. Before/after weighing is really pretty useless.

Yes, keep working on it. And beware...nurses are all too often NOT good resources.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010