Is it normal to have EXTREME swelling after having a baby?

I had my baby 2 days ago and my feet and egs are so swollen I can hardly move my ankles and they hurt. Also my fingers are so swollen I can only fit my wedding ring just past my fingernail! All of my joints seem to hurt from the swelling. I swearand I must have at least 10-15 pounds of this water weight throughout my body! I told the nurses about it and they say it's normal. I don't remember having this issue with my other children. Has anyone experienced this? And is there anything I can do to help it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Eclampsia. Please see a doctor. I did not have pre-eclampsia during pregnancy, and after giving birth I swelled up horribly also, it is from high blood pressure. Please see someone. It can be very serious. You need to be tested. I hope you are okay. Good luck. I was fine after I was put on blood pressure meds for two weeks, then weaned off by my doctor, but that much swelling is very high blood pressure and if not treated can cause a stroke. Im sorry I am not trying to scare you, I just you to understand it is serious. I always had low blood pressure my whole life, then I had a problem after giving birth, and now 7 months later, I am back to normal.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• In some cases yes. I was swollen from head to toe, my husband would not leave me alone and kept telling me how sexy my lips were because they got so big lol. Men! They can be so retarded lol. It goes down I want to say a few days later but give or take a couple of days. All your body is doing is releasing all the iv fluid you were given at the hospital so its fine.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE-Haha I actually didn't get any iv fluid. My baby came too fast they didn't even have time to give me an iv.
    Anonymous

• Pre-eclampsia type conditions can occur postpartum; I would talk with your doctor directly.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2010